1/32 Armstrong Whitworth Siskin IIIA completed 29 DEC 2022

Started by Boomerang, February 04, 2022, 06:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

Thank you Lou and Fraser.

Pushing on slowly.

Gordon

Boomerang

Made up the inter plane struts  and shaped the cabana struts.

Thinking about how to do the fuselage stitching.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Made up one half of the exhaust using brass rod. Needs further work.

Adding some detail to the engine.

Gordon

Boomerang

I have overcome a slight case of modellers block.

Inspired by Mark's picture of his Comper undercarriage I have finally done the undercarriage for the Siskin.

I had made up a jig (similar to the Flycatcher) but used the fuselage itself. Turned out OK.

I've cleaned out the cockpit with a rotary tool and will just use a pilot bust to fill the hole.

Checking measurements for struts and pre drilling rigging holes.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Nice to see you back at it. Thanks for the update.

Lou

Boomerang

After a bit of a hiatus some progress.

Bottom wing is attached.

Fuselage stitching done.

Cockpit cleaned out with rotary tool.

Engine in the process of some refinement.

The piece of wire on fuel filler is not scale. It's so I can pick it up.

Various wind driven pumps and generators are in progress.

Onwards.

Cheers

Gordon

Mark Braunlich

Nice work, Gordon. 
I was wondering if you've ever seen this colour photo from a 1930 issue of The National Geographic magazine.  This is NOT colourized.

lastvautour

You have a magnificent engine and superb detailing throughout. I envy your collection Gordon.

Lou

Boomerang

Mark,

Thank you for the picture. I must admit that I didn't run across it it during searches.
Provides a lot of information. Confirms the blue colour of the time.

Lou,

Thank you. Trying to maintain the building spurt of activity.

Onwards.

Gordon

Boomerang

Started to think about putting it all together .

Have made up a jig to help with aligning the struts.

Inlet pipes added to engine. Exhaust manifolds have been done (yet to be fitted to engine).

Pictures to follow.

Gordon

Boomerang

Pushing on slowly.

Cabana struts attached to upper wing with the aid of a temporary jig and a cunningly placed bit of scrap balsa block (cut to requiredMeasurement) in front of the cockpit.

Outer struts needed to be slightly modified.

So it's now kit of all the fiddly bits.
All the wind driven pumps and generators have yet to have their propellers added. Aldis site from Ali tube and flattened copper wire.

Exhaust collectors from brass rod
Oil cooler from thin ply and a couple of pins. Fuel filler from scrap balsa,bamboo skewer filler cap and vent from copper wire.

The brown pained wire is for the cockpit coaming.

Need to do the exhaust pipes .

I won't be adding them until I've got the engine sorted. Then the top wing can go on.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

Thank you Lou.

Slowly sorting out the various "wobbly" bits.

Gordon

Gearup

The model is really looking good. I revisited the photo of the engine and it is a great piece go workmanship. The exhaust collector looks very well done. Did you solder it in one go as so many joints on a small piece can be difficult to put together.
Fraser

Boomerang

Thank you Fraser.

Shaped the collector around a suitably sized former. Bent the top and bottom exhausts at right angles. Cut lengths for the remaining 5.
Tinned them and placed into a bit of scrap balsa with positioning holes. Then soldered them in one sitting.

Bit of fine tuning to do (match cylinders to outlets ). Tossing up how to connect the exhaust tubes.Either slid into Ali/brass tube or plastic tube.
Need to pre position a lot of brackets and wobbly bits before I put the top wing in place.

Cheers

Gordon