• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 De Havilland FB 31 Vampire commenced 23 JULY 21 Completed 29 DEC 21

Started by Boomerang, July 23, 2021, 09:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The red really shows how well you mated the parts. Excellent job Gordon.

Lou

Gearup

Your finish really shows the grace of the aircraft. Can you comment on what steps you used to ensure the grain was not visible?

Fraser

Boomerang

Thank you Lou and Fraser.

I use 400 wet and dry (dry) to fine sand. Coat of filler / primer - dry sand. Another coat - dry sand. Final coat and 600 wet.

Sometimes I will start of with a coat of dope .

I will cut back this coat of red and apply another coat. Rattle can "Gloss Red"

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Cut back. Anti flutter balances added to elevator. Jet pipe cleaned out. Jet pipe made from PVA soaked paper and formed. Not added yet.

Avionics hump added. One plan I have has a profile of this but its in the wrong spot. Photos referenced and mark one eyeball used.

Pilot on left is home made. Using basswood and wire. He fits the seat. The one on right is too big. Seat is glued in.

The silver below the cockpit will be masked of for a bare metal panel.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Sanding with two colours really highlight the high and low spots.  Nicely done so far.

Lou

Gearup

The model is looking great. Can you elaborate a bit on making the sitting pilot. He or she looks very well done!

Fraser

Boomerang

Fraser,

I used the plastic one to get some measurements. Basically made from scrap basswood . Separate bits for head/trunk . Upper and lower legs.
Arms positioned to give some illusion of movement. Oxygen tube from thin wire. Mask from mix of poly filler ,PVA and some acrylic paint (so I could see it. Bit more cleaning up . Fits the "seat" . The seat was made using cereal box cardboard, balsa . Ejection handle from thin wire.

From the photo of 215 it would appear that the flight suit is a light colour. I will look into this a bit further.

Coat of red applied yesterday ( the rain let up for a while) . Need to fix a few blemishes .

Cheers

Gordon

Gearup

Hello Gordon,
Thanks for the breakdown on the construction. I would have not thought to make the arms, legs and body from separate parts. The whole project is coming along nicely.
Fraser

Boomerang

Vampire update....

Second coat of red added.
Bare metal panel on starboard side was painted silver and masked off.

Avionics hump painted brown.

The original homemade pilot is a wee bit too small. Pilot MKII under construction.

Canopy has been cut down and trial fitted. Bit more work required.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

WOW on that glossy red finish Gordon. Is the canopy cut while on the mold? You need to do a tutorial on making the pilot with close up photos.

Lou

Boomerang

I'll use a sharp blade ( and a steady hand ) and trim it whilst on the mold.

Gordon

Boomerang

Just have to clean up and finish the pilot. Fine tune the cockpit opening.

In the interim I will commence applying the decals. Not home made this time.

Picture to follow.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Hopefully will finish it by the end of the year.

Proprietary decals will be used. The Red centres are  separate from the rest of the roundel .

Should be an interesting centering exercise.

Onward !

Gordon

Boomerang

lastvautour