• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Strombecker A-18

Started by Joe, January 30, 2010, 04:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Gents,

Last year I stumbled across a nice old Strombecker A-18 that was in decent vintage shape.  It was intact save the landing gear.  Although there were some cosmetic issues with paint and joints, I decided to "preserve" it by simply making new struts and wheels for it.  I would leave all else alone and unmolested. 

The first photo shows the as-received A-18's undercarriage: that is is missing its landing gear is manifest.  The remaining photos show the preserved A-18 along with a vintage brother.  Note that the latter A-18 is finished "bright", but that the former has been painted.  One of the interesting historical mysteries is the color used for the fuselage: a sort of gold-color.  I have two other vintage, painted Strombeckers that utiize that color.  I am trying to discover the why of that selection.

Joe

lastvautour

The gold colouration could be a clear coat over silver that has tarnished over time. We had the same problem with full size CF-101Bs in the early 70s.

Lou

dave_t

Or maybe the clear coat turned yellow. It looks like there are patches of the original aluminum color on the bottom of the wings.

Joe

Gentlemen,

I think you gents have solved the mystery.  Indeed, on closer examination using your information, it does appear that the paint is some form of aluminum-metallic, but the golden color is due to a topcoat of either aged varnish or shellac.   I base this on an examination I made of the edge of a broken tail section on one of these vintage models.  When examined with magnification,  the two layers are distinct.  Maybe we should apply for a CSI job...

The original plans/instructions (attached hereto) call for the builder to add the cockpit details using India Ink, which the builder of the painted model did.  However, he deviated slightly from the Strombecker schema.  I have to confess:  I am very attracted to the simplicity of these vintage Strombeckers.  But, then, I suspect you already knew that.

Joe