• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Short Sealand Quick solid model

Started by Balsabasher, February 06, 2014, 11:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Second model for 2014 and built in domestic environment sanding into a large plastic bag to arrest the dust,the Short Sealand has always been a favourite of mine and makes an attractive solid model.

Once again the sealer used was flour and water laid on with three coats after a quick zap in the microwave to harden and allow the water to evaporate,then Humbrol enamel was used for the finish standing the tinlets into hot water first allowing the paint to flow on with an artists squirrel hair brush,so its a quick winter solid made from scrap balsa,propellers are wartime tinplate,undercarriage is fashioned from paper clips,wheels are auto seals with the centre filled with epoxy on a piece of polythene sheet then lifted off and holes drilled for fitting onto the axles.

Its just a simple clean no frills solid model using techniques I used as a young lad.

Barry.

lastvautour

Another fantastic model from the master. I am guessing 1/27 scale??

Lou

Balsabasher

This one is 1=72nd would you believe Lou,I would very much like to build a larger version of the Sealand,would look good next to your Royal Gull.

Barry.

Will

Barry,

What sort of consistency is the flour & water mix when you apply it - thick wallpaper paste or thin soup?  I'd like to try it as cellulose products aren't very family friendly.

Will

Balsabasher

Make up a thickish paste from flour and spring water,apply it generously all over the model,it looks a right mess at first but when sanded down gives you a smooth surface,apply a second coat a bit thinner about the consistancy of milk,the surface takes any type of paint ie brushed enamels,acrylic,spray rattle cans etc,the secret is making sure the flour/water mix is bone dry before sanding down,it has the added advantage of being capable of filling blemishes and even small fillets,its simple low tech and above all it works well without any smells.

Barry.

Will

Sounds ideal, Barry, I may experiment this weekend.

Cheers
Will