• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Paint masks

Started by lastvautour, July 13, 2014, 06:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I enlarged a top drawing of a Spitfire and used it to make masks for the camouflage. So far so good, but I have yet to spray over them. I first painted the bottom, masked it and painted the dark earth. Dark green will follow. Although this is a plastic model, the principle is the same for any project.

Lou

Model Maker

Here's another approach to masking using Frisket film and masking tape. When painting my first batch of Spitfires, I used 3M Edge Lock masking tape for the camouflage and found the paint seeped under the tape joins even though I had burnished the edges. I suspect I airbrushed the paint too thick which also didn't help.  To help eliminate this problem this time around, I opted to use Frisket film for any patters which would not fit onto a 2" wide piece of Edge Lock masking tape.

The Frisket comes in a 12 inch wide roll which allow large and complex patterns to be created without seams. It also has a lower tack than masking tape which assists in floating the patter into position before pressing it down on the surface. For some of the more complex patterns, I had to cut a small slit to allow the Frisket to stay flat on the surface. The slits were covered with masking tape and burnished well. All edges of the Frisket film were also burnished. Don't worry if there are some small air bubbles in the centre of the pattern piece as only the edges require solid contact with the base surface.

The first picture shows the camouflage patterns positioned on the model. To assist the Frisket to fold over the edges of the wings, etc. small pieces of making tape were applied to keep the Frisket tight to the edge contour. For the canopy, I used masking tape (not shown) which was burnished very well along the frame outline.

The second picture shows the result after painting with the masks and tape removed. I was very pleased with the crispness of the lines! :)

The third picture shows the model after two coats of water based urethane were applied using an airbrush. These provide paint protection and a smooth surface for placement of decals or painting of markings, etc. The two coats also provide protection of the camouflage pattern in case any fine wet sanding is required during subsequent finishing steps.

lastvautour