• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

December 2013 Ping

Started by lastvautour, December 01, 2013, 07:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Jingle ping, jingle ping, pinging all they way, or is that another song. Oh well, last month of the year. The last two months has seen as much activity as the previous six or seven combined. Let's hope this continues into the new year.

Here are the stats;

Gallery:
7,268 files in 317 albums and 17 categories with 738 comments viewed 1,766,601 times

Forum:

Total Members:                  300
Total Posts:                    11178
Total Topics:                    1026
Total Categories:                   9
Total page views:     2,380,079

Average posts per day:                    5.43
Total Boards:                                61
Latest Member:                              High Plains
Average online per day:                17.89
Average page views per day:     1092.78

Top 10 Posters Top 10 Boards

lastvautour               3705
Balsabasher             1557
Oceaneer99               785
cliff strachan              679
Mark Braunlich           452
R.F.Bennett               447
Ken Pugh                  406
Peter                        370
buccfan                    360
K_mars                    138

Cook-ups and Group Builds    2101
General Discussion               1696
Lou's Projects                      1632
Monthly PING!                      898
BalsaBasher's Board              865
Mark Braunlich's Board          324
Ken's Projects                       299
Model Of the Year                 222
Officer's Lounge                   217
What The. . . ?                     195

Top 10 Topics (by Replies) 
Air-Toons                                                                                              224
Novice WWII ID Model Mossie (Started 3 Oct 2013)                                  208
HMCS Bonaventure 1/144 Scale Started 1 April 2008                                136
Novice WWII ID Model Handley Page Hampden (Started 1 Oct 2013)         132
Continuation of the P-40 Group Build                                                      116
WWII ID Models                                                                                    107
Where should I start - A Spitfire ID Model                                               107
Long Distance Flights Cook-Up                                                                91
Skybirds Models                                                                                     87
Century jets cookup                                                                               85

Top 10 Topics (by Views)
HMCS Bonaventure 1/144 Scale Started 1 April 2008                    12134
WWII ID Models                                                                           9372
Air-Toons                                                                                    7694
A beginner's guide to solid models - Convair Charger                      7153
The Box Project                                                                           7090
Flying Boat Cook Up                                                                    7056
Century jets cookup                                                                    5651
An International Build                                                                 5638
Progress Reports                                                                        5554
New plan Posted                                                                         5547

Top Topic Starters

lastvautour                                       302
Oceaneer99                                      119
Balsabasher                                      118
R.F.Bennett                                        73
cliff strachan                                      29
gera                                                  28
Mark Braunlich                                   22
Ken Pugh                                           22
Will                                                   21
Fingers                                             19

Most Time Online

Mark Braunlich                                 20d 11h 53m
lastvautour                                      17d 17h 23m
cliff strachan                                    16d 20h 22m
R.F.Bennett                                       9d 21h 7m
Balsabasher                                      8d 3h 59m
Peter                                                6d 19h 10m
K_mars                                            6d 1h 29m
Oceaneer99                                      4d 22h 34m
Boomerang                                      4d 13h 20m
Ken Pugh                                         3d 14h 30m

lastvautour

I have a request. Please advise me what you would like to see as far as the data the site provides. I have place all the criteria we monitor in this month's Ping so have a look and let me know. If you have any suggestions on making the Ping more relevant, please say so.

Lou

lastvautour

On the bench.
Novice build - 1/144 DC-3 Wings waiting for mating to fuselage. Nacelles need trimming but other wise ready to glue (my progress)
Novice build - 1/72 Hampden primer applied and final sanding started
Novice build - 1/72 Mossie primer applied and final sanding started
Stick grip - basic shape attained, much sanding to be done.
Other projects on hold for now.

Lou

Balsabasher

What a year this has been and soon we will be into 2014 how time flies,looking at the stats Lou all things considered its been a constructive year with many interesting models from the membership and the recent emphasis on tutorials is a welcome and good thing, and hopefully a few browsers will pick up on our work and join us to do some real model building alongside us,the results of our labours can only do good for the future of our hobby and keep it alive whilst drawing on the past with the wonderful plans archive we have for inspiration.

So lets see what is on the bench or rather scattered around awaiting paint as this time of year the weather is so damp to use expensive primers and paint when they bloom and do not key well,once the sun shines it will be all the paintshop crew hands on deck !

Auster AOP.9-Sanding sealed,rubbed down awaiting more sealer.
Beaver-Lots of wet sanding done,very smooth awaiting first paint,Arctic orange scheme.
Farman F250-Sanding sealed,rubbed down awaiting primer.
Monospar ST25-Sanding sealed,rubbed down awaiting primer.
Pawnee-Primered,awaiting wet sand then more primer.
Pawnee-Primered,awaiting wet sand then more primer,yellow finish like that one in the field.
Anson-good rub down needed then more primer.
Anson-good rub down needed then more primer.
Chrislea Super Ace-Primered and stoppered all ready for a good rub down and more primer.
Edgar Percival EP9-Under construction.
Hindustan HT2-Sanding sealed awaiting primer

Next model-Blackburn Beverly

Barry.

cliff strachan

In keeping with the spirit of the ping I must report that I haven't been doing much in the line of model building lately.
- I've moved. Now in another 2br apartment. One br has been dedicated to model building, books (sort of a library - made one of three bookcases myself from plans I draughted as I would have in Engineering years ago.)(By way of explanation didn't finish the course but it probably didn't matter because where I bought the lumber I was told that they've not seen draughting like that for years.)
- Still have three models finished to the painting stage - two of the Lockheed 10 and one of a Lockheed 14 - and photos of TCA environments as though the aircraft were to land at Winnipeg today. One photo is taken of the TCA hangar that really hasn't changed over the years.
- At the back of my mind I'm toying with the idea of making a brief tutorial as model building may apply to apartment dwellers using older methods and mostly balsawood. I believe that, while I'm enjoying Lou's tutorials, older methods are sufficiently different that perhaps others may benefit.
- And today is my birthday and as Barry has commented "time goes fast." It sure does!
Cliff.

Peter

Happy Birthday Cliff!! I think we would all love to see your tutorials.

Peter

Balsabasher

Happy birthday Cliff,likwise I would love to see a video related to building models in apartments.
Barry.

lastvautour

Happy Birthday Cliff. Hope to see some of your tutorials on balsa models.

Lou

cliff strachan

Thanks gentlemen for the much appreciated wishes. I only mentioned because as Barry has noted "time flies." But now: "Good Grief What Next?"
Cliff.

High Plains

I'm still here...novice model 1:144 DC-3 still on bench, working at shaping fuselage. Several non-solid scale model projects have priority right now.

Boomerang

Greetings All,

The 1/48 Spitfire , P-39 and P-43 have progressed to the primer stage to see where the imperfections are.
  I've decided to leave off anything that can be broken off ( accidently)as they are going to young lads.

The Beaufort is coming along. Just some more work on the engines and propellers.

Will update with photos when I get some.

I've enjoyed the mossie, Hampden and DC3 builds and Barry's videos. Well Done!

With the new year I will revisit everything that I've neglected this year the Flycatcher etc..,

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Half way through the month. Have you voted yet for the aircraft contest? Do so now.

On the bench or in my case on the carrier are my current ongoing projects. DC-3 is absent lying in a box just off camera.

Lou

Balsabasher

Very impressive Lou,when you say aircraft contest do you mean the annual one or the build contest ?
Thank you,Barry.

lastvautour

The September build one Barry.

Lou

Balsabasher

Thanks for the clarification Lou.
Barry.