Latest Member:              Istari

Gallery

Files                                6,837
Albums                              314
Categories                           17 with 729 comments
Viewed                     1,599,220 times

Lou

lastvautour

84 new post for June 2013 versus 185 for June 2012. Regardless, we continue on.

On my bench:

Lighthouses at 95% complete.
Bonnie rear flight deck area was painted last night and looks pretty good. Now the rear area catwalks.
F-5B and Vampire no additional progress
HMCS Lanark - one hull rough carved to shape.
Wife wanted a sign to advertise her Afghans. Nearly done but has top priority!!!!!!!!!!

Lou

Jim

I'm dead in the water as far as model building is concerned for the time being. Haven't done a thing in that line since I finished the Stuka -- which, BTW, still hasn't been painted.

The Reason:  I volunteered for a big job at the Empire State Aerosciences Museum, and it's literally taking all my time. I'm painting a mural to go behind our forthcoming Nieuport 17 exhibit. Some here may remember that I built a 7/8ths-size wooden model of a Lewis gun a while back for the top wing of a same-scale Nieuport replica our Restoration and Exhibits volunteers had been building. Well, the plane's just about complete, the gun has been installed, and but for some finish details, touchups and a final coat of silver paint, the project is all but done. But the Exhibits people want to fill out the area around and in behind it, to give the display a bit of context. They have kitted out some mannequins in French aviators' uniforms, and another as a nurse. The pilot is to be seated on a crate or box, with his face swathed in bandages, as if he'd been burned in a crash. And behind all this they've wanted someone to paint a mural depicting a cracked-up Nieuport on an aerodrome, with an ambulance standing by.

Well, I heard someone with my voice volunteer, saying "I think I can do it." Now, mind you, I haven't done any painting since I was a student in college, and that was roughly 38 years ago! But nothing ventured...I did up some colored pencil sketches of an aerodrome scene, incorporating the elements they wanted, and filling it out with a lot more. They approved it eagerly and paid for the paints and brushes. I started sketching in the scene in April, and that alone took nearly three weeks, working roughly three hours a day, three to five days a week. I guess I hadn't counted on the wall being as big as it is: It's curved at both ends, and is approximately 40 feet long and 8-to-10-feet high! Between interruptions to work on the Nieuport itself, I've been painting ever since! It's far and away the biggest thing I've ever attempted, and I only hope I live long enough to finish it!

So, needless to say, I won't be doing any model-building for a while...But the three Schweizer models I built a while back have finally found their way into a display case at the museum. That's a pretty cool feeling!

Keep up the solid work, gents! I'm countin' on you to be here when I get back!
And so it goes...

lastvautour

Fingers, let us see some of those scene whenever you can. They could inspire a biplane build.

Lou

cliff strachan

That is some job you've got for yourself, Fingers. Good luck and keep us posted.
Cliff.

Peter

Well my Hiatus ends this month. My wife, kids, 86 year old mother and I have just finished moving into our new house. It's been a hectic move, especially getting my Mom set up in the basement suite. I'm her primary care giver so I've been busy making thing easier for her. The good news it the new place comes with a detached single car garage, which I convinced my wife is to small for a car and is better used for storage and a workshop. Surprisingly she fell for it. The workbench from Home Depot is being assembled today and my shelves put together. Then the unpacking and setting up. It's going to be small but workable. Now I have know excuse (other than real life) to not start finishing model kits and of course solids!

Peter

lastvautour

Good for you Peter. Those models should roll off that work bench(not literally)

Lou

Balsabasher

Not much to report since my last ping,still no shed to build in and lots of watercolour painting going on of aircraft subjects,I will upload these for you all to see,the plan is to present the proceeds of the respective paintings towards the upkeep of those aircraft in the flying museum.

I like the sound of that Nieuport scenery Fingers but you are right these type of things are all consuming and take over from everything else,however what you are doing is so worthwhile for the preservation movement,you can be very proud of your efforts.

I guess that my main focus at the moment is towards my dear wife who is in the very advanced stages of dementia having being moved upwards to the second floor for one to one care,I visit her most days and wheel her out into the beautiful garden grounds then sit by her side at least trying to allow her to absorb memories that I relate from the past,but alas the mind as it was has emptied itself into the world of spirit as the gradual but quick stages of degeneration take place,I know now that whatever tears I shed will never bring her back to her former beautiful self,but in my mind she was part of my life for 46 golden years and that alone is something that many never witness,so I can be grateful for that,please forgive me for saying these words but they are part and parcel of the grieving process to express my feelings to others,when I see the things that are going on today in this world I say to myself at least I did not have to witness those,but alas on a personal level we are not immortal at least in lifes physical form and all have to move on to allow space for others on this planet.

But rest assured I will be back to building when the circumstances and infrastructure are right,yes my shed ! meanwhile I can sketch my dream solids in readiness,this fallow period will not be wasted.

So I yearn for a clear mind so that my building can continue unhindered,Barry aka Balsabasher.

lastvautour

It is always great to hear from you Barry and offer good wishes for you to surpass your tribulations. I just viewed your paintings. You have an excellent collection. Mu artistic talents remains with one solid colour to any surface. Keep coming back.

Lou

cliff strachan

Hi Barry. It is indeed good to hear from you. But I am truly sorry that you, especially in regard to your wife, are having such a tough time of late. Also rest assured that many of us have or are likely to experience similar circumstances. I, for one, have just recently gone through a similar situation - although no two occasions are identical. Be thankful that you have enjoyed each others companionship over many years. Many of your observations, as usual, are extremely timely. Please feel free to impart your insightful interpretations any time it occurs to you.

Cliff.

Balsabasher

Thank you Lou and Cliff for your kind comments they mean a lot.
Those paintings have all been done in the past fortnight and there are some others on my list to do soon,I am just wondering if it would be a good idea to do a bit of simple penknife and sandpaper type models for the time being otherwise its July already with nothing to show in the way of new models,I could always sit outside and whittle away just as I used to do as a young lad allowing the dust to blow away in the wind,also I have quite a few old solid model kits that could be built up and convenient as well because everything is in the box,I know that many say keep these old kits but in my mind they are for building into lovly models rather than stockpiling.
Barry.

cliff strachan

Barry, I did check out your fine paintings of aircraft. I think they are wonderful without a doubt. But I can certainly understand your dilemma in regard to whether or not to build models from older kits or whether to maintain the kits in "as is condition." Perhaps you may be able to do both. Certainly, I for one, would like to see the original kits. But, on the other hand the kits were made to model. A good example of photographing the process as you proceed.
Cliff.

Balsabasher

Cliff I think that is a good idea,by showing the various stages it would be historically building a kit exactly as it was intended to,I seem to remember someone here built a submarine from an original kit and the build process was really interesting.
I treat the paintings like making models from scratch,they are original even if two are done of the same subject.
Barry.

lastvautour

Lars has been holding out on us and has hidden a few gems in the photo gallery. I take liberty to present them here.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=7617

Outstanding workmanship Lars.

Lou

cliff strachan

Lars has indeed been holding out on us! Very wonderful models, Lars. Please, if you get time, tell us more about them.
Cliff.