• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

From Photos only!!!

Started by gera, May 09, 2012, 09:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gera

Happy to know I stirred some feathers with this!!! :D :D :D....I´ll use this weekend to search the web for some photos that get me all steamed up....I can remember some very strange planes I have always wanted to make. Don´t get too much involved in making a plan full of details etc...just a good outline for the main parts, fuselage, wings and tail feathers then use your "eyes" and chop away....you will not be making a "perfect scale". I call these models " representative models", for they give a representation of the original so the seer can appreciate the shape, color etc..of the real airplane. I bet you have seen a lot of these in museums, they look great but are not "absolute scale models"....So glad to be back with you guys.... ;). Hey Ken, send that spy plane up north and check on your friend!!! :o :o :o :o
Gera

gera

Take a look at "museum quality Representative Models" as I call them.....
http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68191
Gera

cliff strachan

Thanks to Barry and Gera for enlightening me as to what is expected in this cook up and how to go about it.
Cliff.

And Gera that is a really great site you have posted. I'll get back to it for a greater perusal.

Balsabasher

Dear Gera,you are right there lots of 'Representative' models in collections,even major museums as well,I was trying to think of the name you would apply to these and you have got it in one,I think the summing up of all this is to draught up/design build something with instant appeal to personal tastes and then the fun is all in the package,even for example a Dan Dare space rocket would look really good with this criteria,build loose get effect ! Your idea for a different type of Cookup was a good one,and dont foget these cook ups are ongoing,they never end so you can lay them up and come back to them as you wish showing what you have done along he way.
Barry.

Balsabasher

After preparing the templates a start was made today on my contribution to the latest cook up,the revised wing was drawn thanks to additional photo evidence provided by the kind members here,for ease of construction I opted for balsa on this one as I want to try out some new filling techniques that have been on my mind,the construction is straightforward and the aeroplane seems to change into all sorts of designs as you build it,with the sun beaming down and the second batch of Swallows arriving with some actually entering the hangar ! a friendly Robin hopped around the balsa shavings on the floor inside within a foot away of me sitting at the workbench,how wonderful it seems that even Robin's appreciate solid models ?
The cockpit was first drilled out then opened up with a Dremel router,note the way that the wing hangs clear of the fuselage requiring some careful fillet work in that area,always something different and a challenge on different types of aircraft.
I have decided to make this as the projected floatplane version,who knows they may have even mocked that version up ? at the time the U.S.Navy were searching the world for suitable designs and Handley Page came up with this from their drawing office,its a kind of mix from the old and the new,the fuselage ( which incidently hinged aft of the cockpit for easy stowage onboard carriers ) is quite modern looking,however the balanced rudder design looks old hat,plus the undercarriage looks quite birdcage like and probably an overkill for rugged carrier operations.
The wing is held on brass tubes a method that I like to use as it allows a bit of float as you adjust the incidence and dihedral angle,once set you just zap it with cyno and it locks everything into place ready for the fillet work which will be built around the wing to fuselage joint.
Barry.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10005/20120521_19.JPG

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10005/20120521_26.JPG

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10005/20120521_27.JPG

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10005/20120521_29.JPG

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10005/20120521_28.JPG

Ken Pugh

Outstanding!  Chips are flying!

Ken Pugh

Balsabasher

The floats have been made up and derived from a Edo float ( photograph naturally !) the necessary chine etc was cut and filed into place,these were pre drilled in the block state before carving and bridged with a brass tube joiner,next job is to make up the support struts for attaching to the fuselage undersides,a simple sacrificial jig will be made for this operation.

The large wng fillet took some time to get right,I started by making balsa plugs to bridge the gap between the wing to fusealge joint,then I rammed sawdust into the gaps filling them tightly,next it was outside to flood the sawdust with thin cyno,a puff of cyanide smoke and the whole lot was rock solid,dont do this inside because the fumes from the cyno will gas you,once this has set I worked some Squadron green putty following the shape of the fillet,a good dry out in the sun and it was ready for sanding that area,I used medium grit paper wrapped around a piece of dowel,a sand up and a coat of sanding sealer reay for the primer appications.

The seaplane version was projected and a requirement for the U.S.Navy,I think it looks better on floats than its large landplane undercarriage thats why I chose this particular feature.

At the moment for the photographs it was sitting on a block of wood to get an impression of what it will look like with them fitted.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10005/20120522_3.JPG

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10005/20120522_1.JPG

buccfan

Excellent work as usual Barry, I've not heard of doing that to harden off the cyno joints before. Regards Paul J.

Balsabasher

It fills and seals structually in one operation Paul,virtually impossible to sand once fully set so make it so that it is below the actual filling level,then build up with softer conventional filler such as Squadron green etc,then final sand to leave a good finish.
On awkward joints like this it excells,but watch those fumes and just walk away from it outside and let it smoke as it triggers the dust particles.
Barry.

gera

Hi guys....This weekend I will make a choise between these two candidates:

The Caproni 134 flew for the first time on 23 Jan 1937 and only two prototypes were built.

Caproni 102....This was to be a follow up to the 101 which saw a lot of action in the Ethiopian Campaign of 1934-1936. It never did. Just one prototype was built and several different engines were tested in it.Even a push/pull contraption with radial engines and a set of online water cooled ones...

But...............this Leoning is begging to be done too......

Gera

Balsabasher

I love these subjects Gera,could be tempted myself !
Barry.

Will

Quote from: gera on May 25, 2012, 08:10:45 PM
Hi guys....This weekend I will make a choise between these two candidates:

But...............this Leoning is begging to be done too......

Gera, there are 3-view drawings of the Loening amphibians in a book I got a couple of years ago ("American Flying Boats and Amphibious Aircraft: An Illustrated History" by E.R.Johnson).  None match the Pan-American tour OA-1A though.  There are plenty of photos on the internet as the "San Francisco", one of them is in the Smithsonian or one of its satellite museums.  Thanks for bringing the plane to our attention, the OA-1A is almost so ugly its beautiful - I'm tempted to carve one too.  I guess if I used a plan it could still fit into the "long-distance cook-up".

Regards
Will

gera

Hi Will....

Roger on the book, will look it up. This plane is the perfect " patience tester" with the odd shape fuselage and so many wires plus the "spoke wheels" which make modelers tremble  ;D ;D...a jewel for a 1/48 or 1/32 scale.....
Gera

gera

How you guys doing????...some pics coming up on saturday :o :o....Show how you doing!!!!! 8)
Gera

Balsabasher

I enjoyed this cook up so much that maybe another subject will be chosen,it was real fun so thanks for the inspirational ideas Gera.
Barry.