• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Past Cook-ups - Grumman Hellcat

Started by davetunison, January 19, 2008, 11:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Pugh

I believe the ID model drawings are based on current knowledge/speculation of 1941.  The later additions to update the training were only implemented in the cast plastic models that replaced the wood models.  I could be wrong on the date, but that was the general time frame.

Ken Pugh

Will

The Hellcat is not listed on the NASM drawing price list for the USN school programme.

The last drawing of the USN school programme is G-10 dated 8-3-44 (August 44).  The F and G series seem a bit of an eclectic mix.  Would Comet have been at liberty to distribute their Hellcat kit anyway as presumably the actual USN recognition models were professionally produced in plastic or metal by then?

Hellcat is in Volume 5 of Aircraft of the Fighting Powers which was published December 44.  Hellcats were first in combat September 43, possibly the details of the planes were still secret (or at least not for distribution through schools?) when the last schools programme plans were chosen.

Regards
Will

lastvautour

Thanks guys. I will make do with the current Hellcat drawings and call it "WWII ID +"regardless.

Lou

lastvautour

My first Hellcat suffered when a water leak damaged the decals. In those days my markings were printed on label paper and not protected. I will replace the paper decals with testor decal film. Fortunately no other model was subjected to this minor water leak.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

Other than the markings, those water stains on the wings look quite realistic Lou.

R.F.Bennett

Do a gallery search for f6f and you will find about 3 sets of plans including patterns.  ::)  ;D  :o
"The Dude Abides"