• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Solid model photography cook-up

Started by dave_t, October 04, 2009, 09:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave_t

What about a cook-up or contest for creative photos of our models?

lastvautour

R.F.Bennett

A cook-up has been nominated and approved (It only takes two builders) and they never end.   :P
Let the chips fly Gents   ;D
"The Dude Abides"

Joe

Gents,

Here is my first attempt.  I think more are on the way...

Joe

Ken Pugh

Take a look at Gera's Projects.  He takes realistic photos of practically everything he builds.

Ken Pugh

dave_t

They don't necessarily have to be realistic. I was thinking about the theme of "solid model memories", maybe a nostalgic workbench shot looking like the 1940s (with hand tools, wood shavings and a half finished model), or something simulating period magazine cover art. It could also be simply a well-lit shot of a model using a set-up like Garet had a while back, a box with special lighting and a neutral backdrop.

Oceaneer99

Here's an example of some things you can do.  This is a rocket that my brother built (flying, so this photo is not eligible for this cook-up).  I took a photo of it on a neutral background and used photoshop to place it over an aerial photograph that I took.  I also used photoshop for the motion blur.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oceaneer99/1762275907/

I also used Gimp (photo editor) to erase a stand, add a spinning prop and background for my 1/288 scale Heinkel:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-333

cliff strachan

A photo that may belong here: And perhaps:

Oceaneer99

Wow, neat splash under the seaplane!  How'd you do that one?

Oh, wait, I can see it in the enlargement now.  That's amazing, from a distance, that cotton batting (?) looks exactly like a splash.

Garet

cliff strachan

You got me on that one, Garet. I was worried that when you didn't see the crew I'd have a problem convincing you that it was a "ghost flight".
Cliff.

R.F.Bennett

"The Dude Abides"

dave_t

Ray,
   In pursuit of the the "Space Battleship Yamato"?

Well, I did say creative. :-X

dave_t

lastvautour

I saw it as a sub over a reef. Nice effect. Don't know about the galaxy in the background.

Lou

Paul

Thunder over the mountain:  (fishing line removed with photoshop)