• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Float Planes

Started by gera, April 24, 2008, 03:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Braunlich

Not really a floatplane but here's the requested Goose:

lastvautour

The Goose would fit into the flying boat category. A Beaver on floats would be right up this alley. Matter of fact I just happen to have a 1/24 Beaver with floats that has been around for two decades just waiting for the right time to be finished.

Photos to follow.

Lou

lastvautour

The Beaver was started around 1990-91. There is a bit of dust on it but a good wash should clear that up for priming and repainting.

Lou

Peter

Thanks for the Goose plans Mark! I'll add it to my list!

Peter

lastvautour

Only the front vertical and rear slanted braces hold any weight. The others will just be glued to these four. The subject should be changed to reflect all countries that fly float planes.

Lou

lastvautour

A few hours of sanding off the paint ridges and application of Duplicolour primer make the old Beaver look pretty smooth all over. Now I am waiting to see once what she looks like with the primer in a dry state. The floats have been done and they look pretty good and will need only minor repair from the dings of being moved from shelf to shelf over the past 20 years.

Lou

Balsabasher

Solids last well dont they Lou ? your restoration work is looking very good on this workhorse,20 years and I wonder how many models you have built in that time Lou ?
Barry

lastvautour

Nearly all the wooden ones that I current have. I believe a 1/24 Tutor, Expeditor and Twin Huey are the only ones older.

Lou

lastvautour

Primed and ready for paint. I have yet to select a finish.
The remaining framing for the float brace will be done after painting.
Lou

Balsabasher

I see that you are still collecting those big Maxwell House jars Lou,as you showed us they make great blister hangars and large nissan huts.

Barry.

lastvautour

Unfortunately they have stopped using metal and have converted to cardboard sides. It is easier to use, but does not have the ridges associated with metal huts.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

I know it was a few years ago Lou, but I'm curious about your corrugated fin and flaps.  Are those made with heavy thread?  Very nice engraving Lou, a skill I'm trying to acquire.

Mark

lastvautour

The corrugation is tape with several heavy coats of enamel spray paint. I can't remember how I did the engraving and I sure wish I could.

Lou

lastvautour

Gloss white acrylic is being applied. It dripped a bit but I need to sand the paint again before applying the final coat and then the bright orange marking of the subject that has been selected.

Balsabasher

This is going to look good in its new paint job.

Barry.