• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Misc.

Started by Mark Braunlich, August 15, 2010, 10:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Braunlich

Here's the reason you haven't seen much solid activity from me lately.   I just finished this stick and tissue, rubber powered, free flight model of the Great Lakes TG-1 built from the remains (box, plan, scraps of wood) of a 1935 Comet kit #510.  This was done for a Comet plan cook-up over at Hip Pocket Aeronautics.  Wing span is 18", not yet flown.  Back to solids soon I hope.

Mark Braunlich

Interesting drawing over on Hip Pocket Aeronautics is this factory drawing for solid wind tunnel model (1:4 scale ?) of the fuselage of a Royal Aircraft Factory F.E.8 of WW1.

Mark Braunlich

High summer here in Illinois and my modeling activity is centered around flying models or keeping them repaired.  I did however carve a static display propeller for the Great Lakes TG-1 shown in post #46 above.   This was carved in one piece from the stick of a spent fireworks rocket (4th of July festivites) found littering the yard.  Just painted today...still need to paint the tri-color tip stripes.   Scale is approx 1:35.  I need to carve a 1:48 propeller for the Caudron racer soon so this is good practice.  

Second photo shows the model in flight with its nylon flying propeller.

buccfan

Nice carving Mark, you just never know what is hiding in a piece of wood. I get offcuts of wood from a joinery for my woodburner, but can never decide what to burn and what may be usefull.Regards Paul J.

Mark Braunlich

I don't think these are Skybirds but they are 1:72 scale solids from around WW2.  Some nice old period models from back in the day...Hawker Typhoon left and Spitfire Mk V right.

Mark Braunlich

Strombecker advert for the season!   November, 1945; a lot of Dads not yet returned home.

Mark Braunlich

I am looking for a better, non-distorted version of this Vought company 3-view of the O2U-1.  Anyone have it?  I would be happy with a good scan.

Oceaneer99

Mark,

I just sent you the version I had.  Let me know if that is what you had in mind.

Garet

Mark Braunlich

Yes, Garet, perfect!  Thanks so much!  Recently found an Aeroclub 1/72 Wasp engine that needs a good home.

Mark Braunlich

Here's link to page of really nice and really old-school solid models representing the design work of Frederick Koolhoven

http://members.ziggo.nl/henrikaper/koolhoven/paris-air-salon-models/

Balsabasher

Dont these models have real character ? the contra prop jobbie was done by James Hay Stevens as part of his series in 'Air Stories' pulp magazine,I have often looked at this advanced design which came along long before the Fairey Gannet.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

While built Strombecker spotter models of the Douglas A-20 are not terribly rare, finding them unbuilt in this condition is rare.  I have one of these crudely built that needs to be restored one day.  Scale is 1/72.

Mark Braunlich

Nice model of a Martin MB-2 bomber made by a couple of Army mechanics in Panama, mid- '20s.  I love '20s aviation and models of that decade....that decade between the end of WW1 and Lindbergh's flight is comparatively neglected by modelers and prime for solid modelers as there are so few kits available for that era.

Mark Braunlich

To widen the exposure to solid modeling a bit I've been posting a few pics of some of my better models here:

http://retroscalemodeling.lefora.com/

Wood and paper models are welcome there.

Mark Braunlich

The Megow Maggie......nice!