• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 Yakovlev Yak -1 Commenced 15 JAN 2017- Completed 9 July 2017

Started by Boomerang, January 30, 2017, 01:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

Progress so far on the Yak-1

It will be made up as a Yak -1B .

Stringers on rear fuselage done using doped and stretched cotton thread . Applied using an array of pins and then doped.

Several coats of thin primer applied with a light sand with 1200 wet/dry .

Tail plane an aileron ribbing done using the "comb"method and cut from the plan. There were some mishaps but easily fixed.  Yet to be cleaned up and primer added

Decals arriving next couple of weeks. I'm thinking of adding an undercarriage to this one.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Another good looking model. The two tone sets it off.

Lou

Boomerang

Decals have arrived . Work slowly proceeding.

May finish it with black/green upper blue lower with red nose.
  But I keep coming back to white upper blue lower and Red 44 - Normandie regiment.

Lots of time to decide.

Gordon

Boomerang

Some progress. Wings have been attached . Wing fillet done. Work required with rotary tool for wing root and lower cowl.
Radiator bath is being made up.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

Boomerang

Working on a winter scheme. Just experimenting at the moment.

Pictures to follow when getting nearer to the end.

Gordon

Boomerang

Winter distemper experiment and repair to wingtip.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

Completed .

Exhausts are lengths of Plastic covered wired garden ties. Exhaust shroud is cut from take away coffee cup cap. The forward and rear exhaust stubs have the wire extended to for a pin.
  The remainder were cut flush with shroud.

Basically air frame painted Green/black and white applied over top and cut back with 1200 wet/dry. If you try this you can get carried away.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Plus a couple more.

Boomerang

Now off to the Macchi and Brandenburg side of the work bench.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

Thank you Lou.

Might try the same thing with a Pe2 / Tu-2 later on.

Cheers

Gordon

Pete1616

Very innovative, Gordon! I don't think I've seen another model looking "battle worn" If I painted I'd like to try this.

Slowing down production due to numbness in fingers, however, I have Gary Deans coming over this evening, he's a strombecker fan....I've cut out a U2 and an Avro Arrow for him to try....don't have much wood left now, but about 11 more carvings to complete....perhaps teaching will be in my future, Gary lives about 30 - 40 minutes away from me.
Pete1616