• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 Sptfire Vc, P-39 Airacobra and P-43 Lancer Started 9/ 2013 Finished 03/2014

Started by Boomerang, November 01, 2013, 11:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

These are for a work mate of mine who has 3 young sons .
     All to 1/48th and will painted to represent RAAF service.
     Basswood and balsa.

lastvautour

Three nice looking models. Are you planning on finishing them before year's end? Looking at that balsa, I think it may be time for me to use up that stuff sitting on the shelf. Do you have the Spitfire V Profile Publication? It has these profiles from the RAAF.

Lou

Balsabasher

Great subjects Boomerang,I do that sometimes mixed wood construction.
Barry.

Boomerang

Lou,
   Thanks for the profile . I was thinking CR-C in the silver. There are a couple of other schemes around for all silver .
   If I get a wriggle on  I should go close to getting them done by the end of the year. Its all a matter of time and space intermingled with the need to work at the moment. Tried something different with the Spit . The fuselage is two laminations of 1/16th Basswood cut
   to shape and faced with balsa. Seemed to work.
   I'm trying to keep all three at about the same stage.

Cheers
   Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

Where things are at on the line.

P-39 - bit of cleaning up and then the painting begins.

Spitfire - Started putting it together. Wing fillets are next.

P-43 -  Progressing.

lastvautour

Boomerang

Managed to get the wing fillets done today. With a bit of general clean up. I'm enjoying it.
  Work tomorrow . I'll try and clean up the fuselage of the P-43 when I get home. depends on what happens and how late   
  I get home.

Boomerang

Nearly there!

With the latest move between home and work I've lost the rudder for the Spit. Might still be at home(hope). If not just
have to make a new one.

Touch up on the P-39 cockpit has a tonal difference between the "rattle can" and paint pot. Should be able to overcome

P-43 may look a bit "tatty" . Rub over with fine wet and dry (wet)

Balsabasher

The Lancer makes for an interesting subject and under-modelled by builders,coming along well Boomerang,its annoying when you loose bits like that,done it myself.

Barry.

lastvautour

Boomerang

Enjoyable couple of hours and a new rudder for the Spit has been accomplished

Boomerang

Finished . After a few instances of "crackling" . Worked around and cleaned up.

The finish on the P-43 is on purpose. From the few photos that I can find they looked a wee bit worn. Not down to the rivets
      But I like the result. Home made decals.

The P-39 ( this was the crackling master) . Red Roo decals.

The Spit. Decided to stop where I was . Don't think I could come at another "crackling" episode. ( Paraphrasing Lou-
      AAAAARRRRGGGHHH!! ). So there are no panel lines etc.. Used soft pencil on both the P-39 and P-43.,

Photos  in Gallery - had a bit of a play with "Paint" - following on from Jorrits low flying Mossie

Boomerang

Soft pencil used for details on P-43 and P-39 .

The undersurface colour is not right. I used Humbrol 65 ( Acrylic). There is RAAF Sky Blue around but I couldn't lay my hands on
    it.

Enjoyed all three.

Boomerang

3 display stands have been completed ( in kit form). I'll leave them for the lads and their Dad to put together.

All packed carefully into shoe box for delivery when I get back to work.

Small pause to draw breath and a cup of coffee and onto the Beaufort