• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Applying Future as a Clear Coat

Started by animek, February 08, 2008, 03:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

animek

How do you apply the coat of future wax over the paint, by airbrush?

Ben

lastvautour

Kenny, glad to help out.

Animek, yes I used Future  but brushed it this time. I tried spraying with mixed results. I have just read another article on airbrushing acrylic and will try diluting with the proper thinners. My acrylic spraying normally creates water/paint droplets rather than a smooth surface that I get with enamel.

Oceaneer99

FYI I'm trying to move this topic to the "Paint and Finish" section, because I figured it would be nice to be able to find it there, but so far this is as far as I've been able to move it.

Garet

Kenny Horne

One thing I remember reading is that Future can be very difficult to clean out of an airbrush.  I've just recently started using it on plastics :-[ and it brushes wonderfully

Kenny

Oceaneer99

I also brush it on full strength, with a fairly wide brush.  It self-levels nicely.  I have used it before and after decals.  The only adverse reaction I've had was Future reacting with paste that was smeared around a paper decal.  The paste was invisible before the coat of Future, but turned a milky white afterwards.

Garet

lastvautour

I hear that "Windex" will clean your airbrush after using "Future".  I have not personally tried this yet as I am waiting to purchase some acrylic thinner before attempting to spray Future again.

Kenny Horne

I guess the problem is that Future is designed to repel anything even solvents... It should be OK as long as you clean the brush perfectly, but if you missed some and it dries, it's tough to get out.  Again, this is simply from what I've read, I have no first hand on this one, so as usual with my advice, have grain of salt handy  ;)

Kenny

Oceaneer99

I've always washed out everything before the Future cures, but seem to recall reading that household ammonia will completely dissolve even hardened Future.  I use a future-like acrylic on the vinyl tiles in my bathroom, and I spilled some Simple Green on the floor which completely removed the finish, so I don't think Future is bullet-proof.

Garet

lmsjim

I know this is an old tread but thought I might help. I have used Future on models for some time. I use it straight out of the bottle no diluting. it works great. Never had any issues. I like to put it on after the decals since if you use setting solutions it might cause problems. I use Windex for cleaning my airbrush for this and anytime I use acrylics. It works great.

Jim

lastvautour

Another method is to apply with a small sponge for small areas. A thin first coat will come out splotchy but the second coat will cover everything and come out great. I am almost ready to reveal the finished Tutor which will completely covered with Future using the sponge method. I don't know whst it would be with plastic models with the panel lines, but it sure works good with the solid model.

Lou

Oceaneer99

I've always applied Future with a large, soft brush.  It goes on pretty thick, but levels out okay.  You do have to watch out for drips or puddles, though!

I generally apply two coats directly over acrylic paint, before decals.  After decals, I put down two more coats.  If I want a dull finish, I spray flat lacquer over that.  I finished my Spitfire this way.

Garet

lastvautour

I shudder at the word lacquer over anything!!!! I assume your lacquer experiences are all good?

Lou

Balsabasher

Dip your clear parts such as canopies in Future,they really do then come alive,three cheers for Future,the model builders gift !
Balsabasher.

Oceaneer99

No, my lacquer experiences have not been all good.  But I haven't had trouble (yet) with acrylic over brushed lacquer (probably just fine), or with a thin sprayed coat of lacquer over acrylic (maybe not fine, but no problems with the brands I've used).

I *have* had trouble with lacquer over enamel!

Garet