• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Gizmos I have made to help with my projects.

Started by Meandog, November 24, 2010, 07:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meandog

I used to be a fitter & turner so have a bit of engineering experience. So I look at the cost of some of the power tool available and think I can make that cheaper, so here is a couple of ideas the I made.
This is a miniature drill press made from the rack out of a old mechanical typewriter with a Dremel mounted on it.

Meandog

Another was a sanding disc, mounted on an old food processor motor, I bypassed the safety switch to make it easier to operate. Works well.

Meandog

This is another sanding disc powered by a sewing machine motor, the table slopes to 45 degrees, very handy for small objects.

Meandog

So I hope this gives members some ideas, there is so many items get thrown out, when they may be very useful modified to do an entirely different job.

In the past I have done a lot of woodcarving, but those items are really not suitable for a model forum, but if members would like to see some pics I am happy to put them up for viewing.

R.F.Bennett

"The Dude Abides"

Meandog

Quote from: R.F.Bennett on November 24, 2010, 08:40:02 PM
We do carve wood...  ;D
Is there a way of putting several pictures to a post as I am not familiar with all  the features here? Thanks.

dave_t

Meandog

Quote from: dave_t on November 24, 2010, 09:27:27 PM
Solid modeling is woodcarving! :o
The woodcarving I have in mind is large carvings, like house and farm nameplates etc. That was what I did a lot of until my body started to slow down. ;)

R.F.Bennett

Additional Options- attach-browse-(more attachments) Clicking (more attachments) will give you more boxes.

Check out this big fella Lou is working on; http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=130.0
"The Dude Abides"

Meandog

Quote from: R.F.Bennett on November 25, 2010, 12:44:01 AM
Additional Options- attach-browse-(more attachments) Clicking (more attachments) will give you more boxes.

Check out this big fella Lou is working on; http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=130.0

Great thanks for that.
That is going to be a great model when Lou has finished it.

R.F.Bennett

What I forgot to add is Please post all the Gizmo's you want.  ;D
"The Dude Abides"

Balsabasher

These are great,the more Gismo's the better,anything that can be turned into a sander in this way is worth considering.
Barry.

cliff strachan

That miniature drill press looks very interesting and something I've been lookin for for quite some time. I'll give it a try soon as possible. Thanks.

Cliff.

Balsabasher

And the number of old typewriters you see at car boot sales that nobody wants any more ? next one that I see will buy it and strip it down to make a copy of this gizmo,excellent.
Barry.