• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 De Havilland FB 31 Vampire commenced 23 JULY 21 Completed 29 DEC 21

Started by Boomerang, July 23, 2021, 09:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Boomerang

No worries Paul. All I had available was the Imperial Hairdryer. It was a bit of a battle.

I think it comes down to the type and thickness of the clear plastic. What I used was clear plastic from a packet of strawberries.

There are heaps of methods on how to do plunge moulding on the net.

Experimentation is fun.

Cheers all

Gordon

Boomerang

Surgery performed on cockpit. I used a cockpit interior from Modelaid magazine. Scaled up to 1/48.
It was "interior" green . Looking at pictures it is all black. So I used the black one that I was going to use as a trial.

The "trial" appears to have worked. I have made my interpretation of a Martin Baker seat out of thin cardboard. Yet to to do the fine details.
Then make sure it all fits under the canopy.

Pic to follow.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Thought I'd better put something up.

I've been dividing my time between the CAC, De Havilland and Sopwith factories.

Wings glued and centre section contoured. Inlets started. Seat done (bit of refinement needed).

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Opening up the cockpit worked out well. Looks like another excellent project.

Lou

Boomerang

Boomerang

Boomerang

Started putting the Vampire together.

Bit of cleaning up to do.

"Elephant ears" added underneath from scrap balsa. Fins still needed in inlets.

Cockpit and seat require more work. I have found a 1/48 pilot. He'll need some modification to fit in.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

The Red is just to see how it went over gray primer.

Gordon

lastvautour

Red look good Gordon. I never knew about the elephant ears as the Canadian version did not have them.

Lou

Gearup

The shaping is fantastic. You really got the inlets done nicely. Looking forward to the canopy installation.

Regards Fraser

Gearup

Boomerang

Fraser,

The FB 30/31 used the Nene engine as the Canadian ones used the Goblin/Ghost.

There were issue with sufficient air intake. Various experiments were done with sizes of intakes. They settled on "elephant ears"
originally mounted on the upper fuselage. This was found to blanket the elevator. Hence mounted underneath.

Pushing on slowly.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Thank you for clearing that up Gordon. The Canadian T-33/Nene 10 uses spring loaded  plenum doors over the engine to accomplish the same thing of getting additional air to the engine.

Lou

Boomerang

Bit of a clean up. Fins put in starboard inlet. Used strips of takeaway coffee top . Port ones will be done as the mood strikes.
It can be a bit frustrating to do. Not enough fingers or hands. Had a couple go ping and lost forever.

Will cut the red back and reapply. Bit more work on cockpit required.

I will probably finish it off with undercarriage up. Therefore somebody in the office will be required.

Working on the occupant.

Cheers

Gordon