• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/32 Scale Stinson Gullwing..............................(Completed 2 July 2017)

Started by lastvautour, May 08, 2017, 09:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The start of a new project that will simultaneously post to my Facebook page. Drawings have been scale from a rubber power scale flying model and lots of pictures. I have already chosen the serial number CF-RXE at http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/CF-RXE.html

Lou

lastvautour

Making a model part two.
I used carbon paper to trace the top, side and wings on cardboard. These will be used to mark the wood I will select.

Lou

Please bear in mind my audience on Facebook are not modelers.

lastvautour

Making a model part three

We will start with the wing. Using the cardboard template I drew the shape needed. Using a hand saw, band saw and a belt/disc sander I removed the excess wood from the pattern.

Lou

lastvautour

Making a model part four.

Using pencil and ruler and much patience draw the frontal view of the wing on the front and back of the wooden block. The extra lines are reference lines for later. As you carved the wing to the frontal view those lines will be redrawn.

Lou

johnnytodd

This is great to watch - & learn someone else' technique!

lastvautour

Making a model part five.

Remove the unwanted wood keeping what is inside the drawn lines. I used a 2" chisel and it took about an hour to get the shape I wanted.

Lou

PS John, it does take all different approaches.

lastvautour

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF ANY PROJECT IS!!!!

Lou

lastvautour

Making a model part six.

Lines are replaced after carving and new lines added.
1. This is the thickest part of the wing airfoil and is located 1/3 from the leading edge.
2. This is the leading edge of the wing
3. The airfoil shape is as depicted in the drawings
4. This is the trailing edge of the wing.
The leading edge will be rounded while the trailing edge will be tapered.

Lou

lastvautour

Making a model part seven.

The first two photos show the bottom of the wing that is not carved to shape. The next two show the carved top wing from the same angles. Redoing the lines allows you to see the curvature of the wing when tilted.

Lou

lastvautour

Making a model part seven.

I added a two more photos on Facebook for clarity.

Lou

lastvautour

Making a model part eight.

After doing some sanding to smooth things out, sandpaper rolled in a dowel will sand between the lines. These wings were built with metal ribs covered in fabric. The stretching caused the fabric to sag between the ribs (lines).

Lou

lastvautour

Making a model part nine.

Sanding of the rib pattern on the wing takes about two minutes per bay and the wing has 42 top and 42 bottom bays. To take a break from sanding I started the tail feathers. The wood started off as a 1" board cut down to 1/4" on my band saw. Before owning a band saw, I would hold a handsaw between my legs and work the piece of wood back and forth to cut it to size. Once the wood is cut I used a chisel to bring it down to the desired thickness.

Lou

lastvautour

Making a model part ten.

The fuselage wood has been cut to block form. The block will now be thinned and shaped.

Lou

lastvautour

Making a model part 11.

A few joyful minutes spent shaping the fuselage and some detail on the nose area.

Lou

lastvautour

Making a model part 12.

The fuselage is notched to accept the main wing and tail wing.

Lou