• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 Lavochkin Lagg-3 commenced 26th DEC 2016 Completed 12 MAR 2017

Started by Boomerang, January 08, 2017, 12:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

I shouldn't have but I did.

This will be interesting. 6000 odd aircraft built with something like 66 variations . The rudder is for a late version.
  So the hunt is on for a good colour scheme. Being a late series I think a winter scheme may be out. Harrumph!

Up to date pictures will be added. Construction has progressed some what since these were taken.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

There will be a bit of research done before wood is cut but I have a plan to do a Mig 3 and a Yak-1 as well.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Just did a quick google of the Lagg-3 and saw lots of interesting colour schemes. Nice subject. I wonder if there is one in the WWII ID plans?

Lou

Boomerang

No Laggs in ID plans . There is a Yak 4 ( twin engine) and a YAK 9 (AEROMODELLER).

Waiting the arrival of further research before deciding on colour scheme.

Gordon

lastvautour

While looking for the Lagg-3 I stumbled upon the PE 2 that sparked a bit of interest. I down loaded many drawings including the WWII ID, Perhaps early Feb??

Lou

Boomerang

Early February sounds like a plan.

PE 2 sounds interesting.

Gordon

Boomerang

I wasn't going to do any detail on the bottom surfaces. But I decided to anyway.

The lower surface of the ailerons and elevators was done by the "comb method" using a comb cut from the drawing and doped into position.
Followed by a couple of coats of LIGHT Primer.

Research has arrived and from a quick read am none the wiser re early/ late series.

More work on oil cooler and engine exhaust.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

More research arrived and I have decided to make this a Series 35 plus.

The Canopy I had already shaped as  "late "series. So I've remodeled the ventral bath and and added bulged tail wheel doors.

Decals should arrive in the next couple of weeks

Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

Decals have arrived .
  Having done this as a "late" series the choices are somewhat limited.

Two tone grey upper with blue lower. If you read the various blogs around there is some conjecture about the shades of grey.

I'll make a decision based on what I have to hand paint wise. Should go pretty close.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Some progress. I've left the  front end for the moment. Have to make some propeller blades, open the cooler inlet etc..,
The Exhaust stubs are made using PVC covered garden tie. The wire end will be cut off to provide a pin.

Should work.
Gordon

Boomerang

The method worked.

Cut, trimmed and trial fitted exhausts.

Now to the RH side and then comes the gun trough.

Gordon

Model Maker

Looking very good Gordon. The exhausts look great. I'll have to remember your wire technique for the next set of exhausts I have to make. The "comb" texture for the tail and wing ribs certainly add to the realism.

-ken

Boomerang

Some progress.

Homemade decals as purchased ones disintegrated .
  Didn't quite get the background colours right . They were a couple of shades darker.
  Required some deft work with a small brush.
  All that is left is radio mast and attaching the propeller blades.

Cheers

Gordon