• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Spitfire

Started by Model Maker, March 29, 2015, 03:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Maker

Have captured some photos on the roundel paint masking process using the craft cutter and frisket mask.

The first photo shows the roundels and fin emblem masked and painted white. As mentioned above, this provides a uniform base colour and for the roundels and fin stripe which incorporate white, lays down the first color

The second photo shows the fuselage frisket masks for the white ring and future red circle in place. This roundel is the most complicated since it comprises 4 colours. The craft cutter allows for a unique masking approach due to the fact all circles are cut out at the same time from the same piece of frisket. Because of this, the circles are completely concentric and self registering. To centre the white and red masks, all 4 mask rings (yellow, blue, white & red) were placed back in position using the taped mask circle (from which the annular rings / circle were cut from) as the register. Once all 4  masks are positions and fixed, the yellow and blue rings are removed for future reuse, leaving the white and red masks correctly centred. The low tack adhesive of the frisket allows for easy positioning and removal for future use.

The third photo shows the mask for the yellow ring reinstalled after spraying. Small pieces of masking tape were placed around the outside diameter of mask to prevent future over-spray from migrating down the seam line. The centre mask has been removed for spraying the red entre circle.

The fourth photo shows the fuselage and wing top roundel areas and fin band sprayed red. The wing top roundel is not masked as any red over-spray will be covered by the blue paint.

The fifth photo shows the wing underside roundel sprayed red. The white mask was installed by positioning both the blue and white ring masks in place.

Model Maker

Most of the painting and detailing is complete. Final roundel  blue rings airbrushed and masking removed. A soft lead pencil was used to outline the control surfaces and landing gear. To allow the pencil to bite into the gloss separation coat, the surface shine was removed using 2000 grit wet paper. This seemed to provide sufficient surface roughness for the pencil graphite to remain in place.

Next step is to spray a couple of coats of gloss acrylic varnish with Ultra Violet (UV) protection followed by a coat of dull acrylic varnish.

Boomerang

Well done ! Looks great Ken.

lastvautour

Superbly done Ken.

Lou

Model Maker

Lou and Gordon - Thanks for the compliments. Still lots to learn. I think it's a little easier working in the larger scales. I have a long way to go to reach your levels of accomplishments. - ken

Model Maker

Final finishing complete. After detailing was completed, air brushed one coat of gloss acrylic varnish for toughness, followed by a coat of matt acrylic varnish. Now it's time to send these off as gifts and move onto finishing the Mustangs.  :)

lastvautour

Excellent Spitfire Squadron. Please post individual pictures of each model so I can post to the yearbook. A well deserved congratulation.

Lou

buccfan

Very nice work indeed Ken , excellent Spitfires, Regards Paul J.

Boomerang

Excellent work Ken.

Gordon

Model Maker

Thanks Gordon, Lou and Paul for the positive feedback. Dare I say, they were fun to carve and paint. I learned a great deal, especially in the painting aspect. However, I'm glad they are finally out of the "elf shop". I carved and painted nine of these in total. Now, on to some new solid model challenges.

Lou - I've posted individual pictures of each plane as requested.

Regards - ken

Biggles

I love the grey brown scheme, a little different!
John 15:13