• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

WWI Recognition Models

Started by lastvautour, October 21, 2010, 04:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Very interesting Mark,that looks a delightful little model as well.
Barry.

lastvautour

Lotus-14

When I posted my reply on the making of WW2 I.D. models, I forgot to mention a couple of things. The program was primarily controlled by school instructors and administrators. The manufacturing of the models, was in many cases a joint effort, so those techniques that could be done by the wood shop tools were done on almost a production basis with close supervision by the instructors. Although some students built models as a hobby, the I.D. models were looked upon as vital war effort projects. One of my uncles was a student during the war, and I have a P-40 he made. The models were closely inspected, and if there was any variation from the inspection requirements the model was rejected.
I also found that the 1/72 scale was chosen as the models, in training, were to be observed at a specific distance, which gave the impression of viewing the full size airplane at a distance such as a mile, or some such. I don't remember what the distance was, as my information is in storage. If I get to my storage space one day, I'll try and remember to dig it out.
Also for those who plan a trip the the U.S. Air Force Museum in Dayton, make an appointment to visit the library, as there is quite a lot of material on this subject. You need to make an appointment ahead of time. I spent a day at the library, and it was well worth it.

Lynn

In Derek Head's book, Bassett-Lowke Waterline Ship Models, he states that Bassett-Lowke started making miniature waterline ship models starting in 1908, and their lines of ship models were used by Allied Armed services in both wars.

The book also mentions that the Bassett-Lowke was instructed not to sell any Royal Navy ship models to the public, and those models were not included in their 1914 - 1918 catalogs.  ( Apparently to prevent other countries from using the products for their training purposes. )

It goes on to state that there were wood and wire waterline models in 1/1200 scale, and white metal waterline models in 1/1800 scale.  I didn't see where it was stated that the services used one, or the other, or both for identification models.

I've been able to snag a couple of wooden Bassett-Lowke miniature ships from the WW II era, and they are quite impressive in their craftsmanship.

lastvautour

Lynn please post photos of the models.

Lou

Lynn

Please see photos of the USS Pennsylvania and the USS Northampton.
The Northampton has damage to all of its masts.  ( A couple are missing pieces. )
These were purchased on an auction site a couple of years ago, and had not been out of the box until today.  The Pennsylvania shows to be a 1"=125' scale, which is one that I had never heard of for Bassett-Lowke.  It may be that I was snookered when I bought these, and they are not in fact genuine Bassett-Lowke products.
However, they are consistent with the photos of similar ships in the Derek Head book, so hopefully they will give you some idea of how these identification models appeared.
If you have an interest in such models, I heartily endorse Captain Head's book.

lastvautour

Valuable treasure. Thank you for posting Lynn.

Lou