• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Duplicolor Paints

Started by lastvautour, December 14, 2009, 05:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Thanks Ken for the tip on Duplicolor Filler Primer. I tried the red oxide filler primer and it looks really good. I wanted the gray but the store was out of it. The filler primer went on smooth and with just one application covered the existing grey primer. I will report back after sanding with 320 grit sandpaper.
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-3503
I also purchased a can of Duplicolor chrome and tried it on an old plastic model. The finish is great where the under lying surface was smooth.
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-3502

Joe

Hi,

I just did a search for Duplicolor products and found this very interesting one:

Duplicolor PW100 Prep Wipe

It is purported to remove grease, oil, fingerprints, etc.  It looks like it would be worth trying.  When I was restoring vintage cars, we used to use Dupont Prep Sol before we applied primer or paint and that worked like a charm.  However, one has to be certain it is compatible with the paint.  The Prep Wipe should be tested first...and I think I will order some to do just that. 

Joe

lastvautour

Additional testing of the Duplicolor Chrome is going well. Here is a photo of the Hobbycraft B-58 Hustler and my own Heinkel P-1080, both in 1/144 scale. The variation of Model Master Silver acrylic and Duplicolor Chrome is easily seen in this shot. The brightness of the Duplicolor give the little Heinkel ship a toy like appearance. I will add other shades over the existing chrome as part of this test. As to the Hustler, I now know that Duplicolor goes on very well over acrylic.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-3512
Lou

Joe

WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!

I received the Duplicolor Prep Wipe today and tried it out on the various paints that I use.  It dissolved Tamiya paints immediately.  Thus, I do not recommend using these wipes at all.  

Joe

lastvautour

Further tests revealed that masking tape applied directly to the chrome will tarnish it. Applying future does not change the brilliance, however the future will lift off when masking is applied. My next test will be to apply Testor Glosscoat. Thanks for the warning Joe.

Lou

Joe

Hi, Lou,

That test with the wipe was quite amazing:  the paint simply dissolved and was absorbed into the wipe instantly.  The wipe found its way to my trash bin nearly as fast--I did not want it near any of my models!

I am such a novice at this craft that I am sure I am making silly mistakes daily.  Besides the ancient instructions from the US War Dept., there is almost no other place to go, save this site, for information regarding making solid models.  To wit, masking.  I did not know about Tamiya tape until I found this site. 

Regarding metallic paints: I experimented with using them and came to the conclusion that the safest thing to do was paint first with "normal" paints and mask those areas  prior to painting with metallic paint.  Is that an unnecessary restriction?  The one issue that still plagues me is when I create a "ridge" because there is build-up at the edge of the masking tape. 

No matter what the instructions say, I always let the metallic paint dry for 24 hours before handling it--the paint just seems "soft" unless I wait that long. 

Oh, well, as the title of the book says, "I Never Promised You A Rose Garden".

Joe

dave_t

Joe,
   I know you threw the product away already, but do you know what it's main ingredient is? Just curious, why would you use it on already existing paint? At first I thought it sounded like a solvent to prep a surface before paint application.

Dave

Joe

Dave,

One of the uses I anticipated was cleaning a model between different colors.  It would not work for that application.  Also, it dissolved my usual  primer!  That said, it might work with the Duplicolor primer.  I did not test that.  I guess you could use it on raw wood, but I have not tested that.  In addition, I have not tested it on sanding sealer; I will hazard a guess that it would not be a good idea, though.  This product is normally used with automobile paints and they are usually mixed with hardner prior to application.  That would prevent dissolution.  And, in fact, the package lists the applications, amongst which are "Cured Automotive Finishes". 

The label says, "Contains aliphatic hydrocarbons".  Since I am a chemist, I understand what that means.  However, I am darn sure this product contains more than aliphatic hydrocarbons.  The odor alone told me that.  Further, the label states that "The product chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm."  That statement would tend to proclude simple aliphatic hydrocarbons, but there are derivatives of aliphatic hydrocarbons that would fit that description.  My guess is that is what we are dealing with here.  For the other A's amongst us, here is the Wikipedia reference to aliphatic hydrocarbons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliphatic_compound

But I fear you will not learn much unless you have some chemistry in your background. 

Joe

lastvautour

I guess that product would be pretty good if you are refurbishing and want to strip away old paint.

lou

lastvautour

I tested the Duplicolor chrome using Testor Glosscoat and found that product unsatisfactory also. If used, one will have to save it for the last colour to be applied. Still, it does give a nice shine when sprayed on a smooth surface, just be careful not to touch it with tape or other top coats.