• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Air-Toons

Started by lastvautour, August 18, 2009, 12:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Now those are real cute Bucc ! very well made.
Barry.

buccfan

I had better say this quietly  Barry, they are not made of wood!!!!!!!!!. I have some more Bucc's and Hawks and a T45 Goshawk .Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

I think it is quite possible to do an Bucc AirToon.

Lou

lastvautour

The intakes may be hollowed out if you so wish. I used a dowel wrapped in sandpaper to get the desired effect. The wings were then glues as well as the intakes and tail feathers.  Once dry, a bit of putty to fill the cavity under the stab and a bit around the underside as well. The unpper joint between the stab, fin and fuselage get a bit of putty applied with the finger. Once dry and sanded you may be required to add more. Don't attempt to get it all in the first try as it takes much longer to dry. A bit at a time will work out better.
A bit of sanding at the back and under the stab will clean things up. There will be more on putty and sanding later.
Lou

lastvautour

At this stage things are still drying, but I could not resist the pose.

Lou

buccfan

Hi Lou, you can almost smell the jet fumes and see the red white and blue smoke in the last pic  ;D. All copied to file. Thanks again Paul J.

lastvautour

Next apply small amounts of putty to all the joints and sand when dry. You may stop here and paint to the scheme you have chosen or continue with additional details.

I chose to add flap hinges and the aileron actuator blister. These are all thin scraps of wood cut to size. I found that the template for the stakes was to long so I removed approx 2mm. I used the bottom view of a Hawk drawing to line everything up. I am still missing the wing fence and the mouse ears. Once these are on, I will prime and sand before painting the Red Arrow scheme.

Lou

lastvautour

Addition details such as mouse ears and wing fences are at your discretion and can be done with paper, plastics or wood. The Mouse Ears are chips off the end of a dowel to make a wedge shape air intake. The Wing fences are attached via a saw cut in the leading edge of the wing and a thin wooden fence is inserted. The saw cut will sometimes be just too thin to accept the fence, so a doubled over piece of sand paper is rubbed a few times to widen the cut.

Lou

lastvautour

After some thought, it may be easier to prime and sand the Hawk before adding all the bits and pieces. There are a few odds and ends to add such as the flow straightener just ahead of the stab and the antennae. Here the diamond formation has been chosen for display. I had a block of wood just siting there. The slot position is filled by the first primed aircraft. All the bits and pieces will be added after the final primer coat is applied to this one. Once I have primed and sanded the assembled one, I will make a choice on the other two and advise which is easier.

buccfan

Thanks Lou, looking good. Regards Paul J.

dave_t

I am making mine as a T-45 Goshawk.

lastvautour

I am looking forward to your Goshawk. They have some great colour schemes.

Lou

dave_t

Some more progress on the Hawk...

lastvautour

Your Goshawk looks wonderful. Are you adding undercarriage?

Lou

dave_t

Well I hadn't planned on it, but you never know (I would like to finish it in 2011). Maybe an arrestor hook.