• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Air Racer Cook-up

Started by lastvautour, October 14, 2008, 09:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K_mars

Lou,Mark,

Thanks.

In Japan, Solid Model was popular from the early 1950s.
Five clubs are in Japan, and a total membership is around 200 now.
I want to show the production method of the Japanese modeler.

Kenji

Ken Pugh

Kenji,

That's great.  I have been studying the pictures from Osaka and Tokyo but it sure would be great to have someone explaining things to us.  I, for one, will have questions along the way.

Thanks,

Ken Pugh

K_mars

Barry,

Thank you very much.
The solid model of Japan imitated U.K.

The name of thermo electric printer is Alps MD-5500.
This printer can print gold, silver, white.These printers are not produced now.

The system named Piqua that changes into this printer is developed. However, I have not tried yet.
The Web site in Piqua is here. (Japanese only)
http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/piqua-1/

kenji

K_mars

ken,

Thanks,

Most of Japanese modelers are shy.
I answer a question as much as possible.

kenji.

Balsabasher

Dear Kenji the mysteries of your excellent solids explained by you are most welcome here,we understand that much internal hollowing out takes place before detail is added,this in itself is no easy task and as Ken mentions we have lots of questions along the way.
Interesting that in all of Japan as few as 200 solid modellers exist,but overall that is a measure of quality rather than massive numbers,it is good to know that the skills are still alive and above all we can share knowledge in this way.
I have never seen one of these printers they must be collectors pieces in themselves ?
Thank you again for taking the time and trouble to communicate,any help that we can give you please just ask,there is so much to learn in our wonderful hobby.
Kind regards,Barry.

K_mars

Barry,

I am very glad that I can share the precious technique of many modelers on this bulletin board.
The Japanese modeler did not exchange information with the modeler of other countries. I think that there is an original technique.

A thermo electric printer was a thing for designers, but devised a technique because a modeler was made with decal.It is a few that use this printer in Japanese modelers.

Yours sincerely,kenji.

cliff strachan

Kenji, your Howard is really a great model. Not only the model itself but also the subject.
Cliff.

Balsabasher

Kenji I have been thinking about this thermo electric printer,the principle is the same as when they make gilt greetings cards but I think they use a rubber stamp and somehow heat the gold finish onto the surface,I wonder if this was one of the applications that the machine may have been used for ?
Barry.

K_mars

Barry.

Now, Japan is very hot. Maximum temperature reached to 95 degrees Fahrenheit.

A thermo electric printer , ribbon is done in the way of greeting card you said.
This Photo is decal paper and ink ribbon cartridge of gold and silver.
Decal paper is also available exclusively for this printer.

But now the technique named "PIQUA" was developed. . However, the modeler is not yet used.Only this method copies the color onto a special paper and the decal can be done.
The photograph ..below two.. is a seal made in "PIQUA".
In surprising thing, there is no base of the transparency like the decal. The person who had been working for the company of the copy originally developed this.

Kenji.

Balsabasher

Kenji in the UK we are experiencing the most wet and windy weather ever for July and as yet no real signs of any summer.

Thank you for the very interesting images and descriptions,you have given me an idea for a future tutorial,some years ago I had to paint the company name onto a de havilland Dove aircraft in gold leaf lettering,it was something that I had not attempted before and I had to teach myself the technique required,basically I had to paint the letters first in Japan gold size,a cold setting tacky varnish,then I had to carefully hold the leaf sheets on a palette knife and literally blow them gently onto the surface as the pages of the leaf were very fragile,once everything was dry I had to remove the surplus leaf by rubbing gently with a brush against the edges,then finally hand paint the black edges to the gilt letters,the gold leaf is sold as fools gold or another name is dutch gold,genuine gold leaf as used by the old masters is very expensive and difficult to obtain.

The effect on the registration letters on your Howard Ike is very convincing,I will look out for PIQUA the system that you mention in my local craft store.

It is a good job that there are not too many aircraft that utilise gold in their registration letters,a most difficult combination to reproduce in miniature.

Barry.

K_mars

Barry,

I am glad to help you.

I came to want to make Brown B2"Miss Los Angeles" when the thing that gold was able to be printed was understood. All of this racer's marking are golds.

kenji.

Balsabasher

Ah the lovely Brown B2 ! a friend built a flying model of this lovely subject some years ago.
Once again Kenji wonderful craftsmanship,how did you simulate the ribbing on your model ? it looks very fine and delicate.
Barry.

K_mars

Barry,

I simulate the ribbing by using the Ruling pen on my model.
The line of the lacquer is drawn in the wing by using the Ruling pen.

kenji.

lastvautour

Excellent workmanship Kenji.

Lou

Balsabasher

Kenji I will have to get my ruling pen out and try this useful technique some time,thank you for the tip.

Barry.