• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 Percival Mew Gull

Started by Mark Braunlich, October 29, 2020, 05:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Braunlich

Sorry for the long absence.  This will be my practice model for more complicated subjects I need to finish.

lastvautour

Glad to see you back in the hobby. I  look forward to your progress posts. The Mew Gull is quite small in 1/72. What drawings are you using?

Lou

Boomerang

Looking forward to the progress of the Mew Gull

Cheers

Gordon

Mark Braunlich

Lou, yes, the model is tiny.  Wing span is 4 inches.  The 1/72 drawing is by J. H. Robinson from the September 1969 Aero Modeller.   That drawing represents Edgar Percival's own E3H Mew Gull as raced in the 1937 through 1939 King's Cup races.  Robinson also did drawings of Alex Henshaw's E2H Mew Gull, G-AEXF, used to set the Cape Town record.  Those drawings appear in 1/48 scale in the American magazine Model Aviation, February 1981 issue.

Gordon, stay tuned.

Mark Braunlich

Wing roughly shaped and trial fit to the fuselage.

lastvautour

Well done Mark. Always love those progress shots.

Lou

Boomerang

Coming along very nicely.

Gordon

Mark Braunlich

Aileron, flaps and cowling panel lines have been scored into the wood which so far, has two light coats of nitrate dope.  I've shown before, on my P-80A thread how I make fillets with roughly shaped blocks of balsa cemented and pinned in place.  The pin hole in the balsa can be closed with a drop of water.   The common straight pin shows how small this model is.

lastvautour

Gearup

Nice detail with open cockpit.
Fraser

Mark Braunlich

I've got Edgar Percival seated with his famous brown homburg hat.  The model is painted the correct ivory color; looks white in these photos.

lastvautour

Nicely done Edgar. The Mew Gull looks great.

Lou

Boomerang

Well done Mark ! Edgar fills the cockpit nicely. Looking forward to more progress shots.

Cheers

Gordon

Mark Braunlich

Shaping a de Havilland constant speed propeller from a strip of sheet aluminum.

Gearup

The aluminium prop is looking very nice.
Fraser