• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

February Ping 2020

Started by lastvautour, February 13, 2020, 09:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I somehow managed to forget to do the Feb Ping. My apologies.

Large numbers of people from Singapore and Hong Kong have been visiting our site. On two occasions, with 59  and 65 people visiting respectively. As our tally registers the amount of pages viewed, number add up rather quickly. Now if we could only get them to sign up and contribute models.

Lou

lastvautour

My Bristol Blenheim was completed today. Although I have a few project in the isles, none our currently on the bench. I now have eleven twin engine ID + models. I am leaning toward a possible Betty bomber.

Lou

lastvautour

Boomerang

I'm still here Lou,

Been away for a few days.

Still plugging on with the Blenheim.

Caproni still sitting on bench waiting for some attention.

Flycatcher just need to get in and finish the rigging.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Thank you for the update Gordon.

Lou

ZumaAir

Hello Lou, Oceaneer,and all who are carving!
     We have moved from California to Keller, Texas!
IT has been difficult to rebuild in malibu,however we are still
making an effort. I  have nearly finished the Vultee XP 54
and will begin on an Albatross D-5 soon. Next, will be an Avro
Canada CF 100. Pictures wii come shortly!
                JOHN (aka ZumaAir)

ZumaAir

Gearup

Ahhh a Pink Floyd lyric, " is there anybody out There?" 🎼🎼. Still working on the fiddlly bits of the storch. Should have something to show soon.

Fraser

lastvautour

Thank you John and Fraser for the updates.

Lou

Pete1616

Well, after about a year I have finished two aircraft, A Spitfire and a Dakota! Not up to my usual production. Moving, being in a wheelchair etc will slow a fellow down.Out of the chair for now, but arthritic hands, 85 year old arms old
Oh well....

Ken Noble has been kind enough to cut out some blanks from butternut, we got our wires crossed somehow.....I like working with eastern red cedar!

Now I have some blanks to give away! A Lancaster and a Halifax both 9" long and a Spitfire and a Sabre, both 7" long.
all I ask is that the recipient reimburse the cost of mailing. These are all butternut, nice grain, medium hardness
Pete1616

lastvautour

Thanks for the update Pete.

Lou

Boomerang

Good to hear from you Pete.

Cheers

Gordon

Jim

Greetings, fellow carvers...

Haven't been contributing lately, as I've been tied up painting and caring for my 95-year-old father. But the paintings I promised to do for other folks are behind me now. And Dad's well enough again to go off and spend the cold winter months with my brother in California. So once again my time is my own. Thank the Good Lord!

I've begun work on a Pfalz D-IIIa. Making decent progress, and hope to have it done before trout season rolls in. April 1!
And so it goes...

lastvautour

Oceaneer99

I know it's been a while since I have checked in.  I was in a major motorcycle accident four months ago, hit from the side by an oncoming inattentive driver.  My vintage Honda was totaled and I suffered severe injuries to my leg and knee.  I was stabilized on-scene by fire-rescue crews, strapped onto a back board with a cervical collar, with my knee splinted in a painful position, and then taken by ambulance to the regional trauma center. I spent most of a week there, including surgery -- I have six extra screws now.

I eased back into models by building some semi-scale model rockets, using fiberglass cafeteria trays so I could build in bed.  I'm getting more mobile and so pulled out some of my unfinished solid models but haven't worked on them yet.  I really can't get to my workshop at the moment. I'm finally back at work full time. Everything takes longer to do than it used to, and I do physical therapy daily, which takes a lot of time.

Here are the models I've pulled out that I at least cut out the blank blocks for in the past:

Bristol Spaceplanes Ascender (close to finished with the basic carving)
Comet PT boat (need to fix the bow); most components are ready for assembly
Speed Spitfire 1/48 scale (fuselage ready, no other parts shaped)
Pinewood Derby version of the Smart Car (semi-scale)
Blank cut parts of a WW II ID model of a seaplane glider

I also have a 13 inch wingspan balsa and tissue model that I built years ago and mostly covered but didn't complete

On the rocket side, I built:
A small version of the Estes Nike X semi-scale rocket
A small version of the Estes Citation Patriot
Working on the design of a scale Sandia Doorknob sounding rocket
A kit model of the Honest John missile by Estes