• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

F8 Crusader Children's Toy

Started by Model Maker, September 26, 2018, 03:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

buccfan

Excellent progress Ken. Regards Paul J.

Model Maker

Both planes have been primarily shaped and rough sanded up to the front part of the cock pit.

I am a little nervous about shaping the front air scoop. I believe I have a game plan on the approach. Once I have the air scoops shaped, I'll glue everything together and commence the blending of the wing to fuselage. If I don't get the air scoop correct, I can quickly shape another fuselage and fit the other components.

Boomerang

Ken,

Love it when a plan comes together.
Cheers

Gordon

Model Maker

Both planes assembled and glued. Front air scoop seems to be shaped reasonably well. Both planes are ready for final sanding. Once the final sanding is complete, I'll cut off the tang and complete the shaping of the nose.

buccfan

Excellent progress Ken, Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Boomerang

Model Maker

Thanks Gordon and Lou for the feedback.

Have started the finishing process. One of the "joys" of pine is sap bleed, especially through acrylic paint. I have opted to add some paint details, so have masked the areas to be painted. First step  is a couple of coats of shellac. The shellac seals the pine and acts as a good primer for the paint to adhere to.

Painted details have been completed and coated with two coats of gloss water based varnish and one coat if semi gloss, although it still seems to be pretty glossy. I'll wait for the completion and may recoat with a matt varnish.

Next step is to add the Tried and True varnish which will hopefully highlight the grain.

lastvautour

I envy the receiver of this gift.

Lou

Boomerang

Model Maker

I also hope someone enjoys these. Not sure if they can compete with the electronic items these days. In any event it's a hobby which I enjoy and hopefully someone will enjoy the results of. Maybe they will spark the imagination of a future pilot.

Finished one of the models. I wanted to finish one before completing the second so I could assess some trial approaches.  This time I applied more paint to highlight specific areas than on the A10 from last year. I also scored the control surfaces and highlighted with colored pencil rather than using the wood burning tool. It seems to provide a more uniform highlight than wood burning which can locally overheat an area if the travel pace is not constant. Once the scores had been highlighted with the coloured pencil, I placed two heavy coats of varnish in the score line to seal the pencil outlines.

I wasn't able to obtain a plastic label in time, so I opted to use a photograph label. I mocked up the nameplates and saved in JPEG format. Took the file to Walmart and had a photo printed for 11 cents. I was able to place 8 labels on a 4" x 6" photo, so I had several copies just in case I made a mistake in mounting.

On to completing the second one.

Boomerang

I think it looks just right. Well Done!

Gordon

Model Maker

Thanks Gordon.

Thought I'd better post the photo of the second plane so it makes the 2018 poster.

The A-10 warthog was a hold over from last year (2017). But  thought it would look nice in the picture with the two Crusaders.

Boomerang