• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Work Station Dust Collector

Started by Model Maker, December 26, 2016, 10:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Maker

Just as Lou mentioned in one of his recent posts, managing dust is an ongoing battle. I have a few upcoming carvings and thought I'd put together an enhanced collection system to try and capture the dust as close to the source as possible.

The design is very flexible and is based upon a plastic 14" x 14" table saw dust collector and some 4" dust collection fittings. All items were purchased from Busy Bee, but are typically available at most outlets which sell woodworking dust collection components. Alternately a wooden frame and some 4" or 3" plastic plumbing fittings can also be used. The assembly is in turn connected to a shop vac to collect the shaving and dust.

Photo 1 shows the 3 basic components - A wooden stand of appropriate height. A 5 gallon plastic pail and the table saw dust collector pan with fittings attached (4" coupling, 4"-90 degree elbow, 4" coupling, 4" x 2-1/4" reducer, 2-1/4" coupling to attach to shop vac hose)

Photo 2 shows the bucket attached to the stand with a single screw in the centre and some washers. The single screw allows the bucket to be rotated on the stand to assist in keeping the shop vac hose from being in the way. A hole is cut in the side of the bucket using a razor knife to allow the fitting assembly to pass through.

Photo 3 shows the bucket and stand installed under the work station. The wooden stand is approximately 24" long and is designed to be moved back and forth as well as sideways to allow optimal placement under the section of the model being carved or sanded.

Photo 4 illustrates the dust collector pan placed under a carving while being shaped using a chisel. Chiseling doesn't create any dust, but the  pan can also be used to collect the shavings which can be swept into the 4" opening to facilitate a quick clean up.

Photo 5 illustrates a piece of peg board installed on top of the the dust pan. The peg board provides a more distributed downdraft to collect saw dust from sanding and filing. Being able to move the stand forward and backward as well as sideways allows virtually all the dust from sanding the fuselage and wings  to be captured. Since I won't be sanding directly on the pegboard, there is no need to fasten it to the dust pan. But if fastening is required a bolt and wingnut in each corner should be sufficient to allow easy removal of the peg board to capture shavings.

If sanding on a workbench or table is preferred, I have attached a link to a DIY downdraft table. My preliminary tests indicated a 14" x 14" surface with a 2-1/4" shop vacuum hose attachment provides a good downdraft to capture the dust.

http://fixthisbuildthat.com/diy-downdraft-sanding-table-box/

I hope the above will provide some options to aid in eliminating  the spread of saw dust as well as more importantly keeping the saw dust away from the lungs.

buccfan

Great idea and excellent "how to" article Ken. Regards Paul J.

Model Maker

Thanks Paul.

I seem to spend a significant amount of time sweeping and vacuuming when carving and sanding. Hopefully this will reduce the housekeeping time.