• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Files............The Solid Modeler´s "Knife"

Started by gera, April 30, 2008, 07:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gera

Yep.......If you really want to make good models, the number one tool is the good old File.
I should say " Files" since you need from a very " Harsh" one to a fine beautiful ladies file.

Here is how I use Files from start to finish.......sandpaper is just a "Helper" on the way---totally
secondary--

Once I have my "basic" form cut for all main parts with my electric saw, I start shaping, via formers,
and sometimes not even using them, just eyeballing the plan, the "shape" of the fuselage with a
very "rough" or "Harsh" monster file ... :D :D :D :D.....this is really such a monster thatt it "cuts" wood
better than a knive and it gives you absolute control to obtain the shape you want. No sandpaper here,
its just a bother at this stage.....( a 1:48 fuselage takes from 15 to 45 minutes depending on complexity, usually a 1:72 takes about 20 minutes)
With your fuselage shaped to around 96% of true shape....yes it can be done. I continue to finish the
"Total" shape with files of all shapes and sizes, until I finish to around 99%. Then the helpers, sandapapers,
come around and help me get a perfect finish ( well as perfect as my skills allow!!).
Using files "almost" guarantees getting the right shape, same for all the rest of the parts, wings, tail, elevators and airlerons.......I never rush, no need. Just scrape slowly and use the force needed according
to the kind of wood.
"Control" of your work is what files give you. I have around 25 or so..use them all here and there....Knives? What´s that?
Gera