• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

August 2016 Ping

Started by lastvautour, July 31, 2016, 11:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

August already.

July stats are similar to last year with 7000 more pages viewed in the forum. A look at other websites have similar drop in activities during the summer months.

Lou

lastvautour

My workshop is yet to be set up. Local contractors are fully booked for new construction so it may be late fall by the time I get a storage unit on the property and my tools set up. For now I will live my carving passion through your projects.

lou

Model Maker

I know it's a long way off, but am wondering if members would be open to the idea of creating a wooden airplane toy as a Christmas gift for children. I have observed this practice on other wood working sites. Dare I say it's tough to compete with electronic games, but I'm sure we all remember the joys of receiving and playing with a model airplane. Although we are scattered across many countries, we could create a poster similar to the year end poster which would display everyone's contribution. This may also be a way for those members who do not have their own posting board to contribute and display their works of art.

Thoughts??

lastvautour

I have a 3 year old nephew who might just benefit from a solid wood model. If my shop is set up in time. Perhaps something in this category.

Lou

lastvautour

Ken we had a Christmas cook-up from a few years back. We can post all comments and photos there if everyone is in agreement.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=452.0

Lou

Model Maker

Lou:

Previous thread is fine with me. I'll volunteer for one or two models. The level of detail you showed in your example looks about right for a toy. Simple and strong.

-ken

lastvautour

The fewer pieces the better. Jorrit and Garet each have a few profiles that could be beefed up as suitable children's toys.

Lou

Pete1616

Unfortunately, my grandchildren range in age from 22 to 38, the great grandchildren are 8 and 10, and interested in sports to the exclusion of all other activities....perhaps, if I can find a neighbors child who may like aircraft.....I like the idea!
Pete1616

Model Maker

I'm in a  similar situation to Pete. No immediate young folks to wrap up as a present for. But thought I would make a couple and donate to one of the children's Christmas gift charities. - ken

Pete1616

Looking at the recent display of Roger Cortani's work, I'm very impressed! Is Roger a new addition to our group? His work would indicate that he's been carving aircraft for a long time.......Pete
Pete1616

R.F.Bennett

Roger is one of the founding members of SMM. He has returned, he is one of the finest modelers you will ever see in my humble opinion, also a fine artist and illustrator. Welcome back Roger!  :)
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

Outstanding modeling skills Roger. Welcome back.

lastvautour

New beginnings. Hopefully September will yield more results. A new workshop is not feasible this year so moderate building may have to be the order of the day.

Lou

buccfan

Good start Lou, did the previous occupant have a workshop there, or have you started from scratch?. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

The basement was bare. So all display shelving will be store bought and in keeping with what you see in the second photo. Of course, those cabinets that I brought from Greenwood will be used for specialty categories such as 1/144 and WWII ID wood models. Looking back at my old display area, I need approx. 136 square feet for my plastic collection and close to half of that again for the wooden collection as many are 1/32 scale. That works out to very close to 200 ft of shelving with a 50/50 mix of 12" and 16" shelved. I may be finished by 2020.

Lou