• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Continuation of the P-40 Group Build

Started by lastvautour, January 14, 2011, 05:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

lastvautour

Garet, the canopy framing is strips of masking tape. I neglected to mention that in my assembly instructions.

Lou

lastvautour

I am taking the liberty of posting Barry's build photo directly to this post.

Peter

Well, as usual my progress is slow but, I'm enjoying myself. The fuselage is better on the P-40 than my spitfire. I'm really happy with the way my flaps came out I used a parting tool from Lee Valley. I also used the same tool on the cockpit lines.

The tail is next then the fiddly bits last.

Peter

Balsabasher

You are learning fast Peter,scoring lines into those ailerons ( flaps are underneath the wing,just a correction ) and marking the cockpit outline as you have  is no easy task,you can paint the overall cockpit with your chosen colour ( I use silver with a bit of blue added )and fill the lines with paint and rub off the surplus with a cloth,another way is to buy an artists 'oil bar' which is paint in stick form and rub that into the lines for the framing.
Your progress as a solid modeller is excellent and you can be proud of what you have achieved both with your Spitfire and the P-40.
Barry.

lastvautour

Your carving is fantastic Peter. I normally don't do my ailerons or other control surfaces, but you seem to have mastered that skill. I never did learn how to get the scribing of cockpit glass. I can see a great future for you in this hobby. Thanks for the pictures.

Lou

lastvautour

I don't like the current colours, so sanding and repainting is in order. I need darker colours to do the AVG version. The decals are home made as usual.

Peter

Thanks Barry and Lou for your kind and encouraging words. I'm definitely enjoying myself! Now I just have to get my sons interested. Although girls are more interesting. I will hopefully get more done and photos posted next week.

Peter 

lastvautour

The P-40E in AVG colours circa April/May 1942. Flying Tiger decals were printed on white and the edges painted to blend.

Balsabasher

Which one is next then Lou ! knives at the ready.
Barry.

Peter

My photos have disappeared again, so I will try to repost them.

Peter

lastvautour

I still see your original pictures in the 12 Feb post. I know we are having problems with the attachment feature but that should not cause your photo to disappear. Keep an eye and it it happens again send an email to Garet or Ray.

Lou

lastvautour

Peter

Progress yes, photos no................I will take some on the weekend hopefully. The tail is finished and came out pretty good. The wheel things for the wings are giving me a bit of a challenge. :'(

Peter

lastvautour

Time to check up on your progress Peter. I hope to see some new pictures.

Lou