• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Continuation of the P-40 Group Build

Started by lastvautour, January 14, 2011, 05:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Does any newbie want to join me in making a P-40 from the gallery plans? I will do a tutorial similar to the Spitfire one if anybody is interested. A good chance to do your first or  second model. At 1/72 scale, the Warhawk/Kittyhawk/Tomahawk will not take up much space nor time and will get you started in a new and fascinating hobby.

Lou
P.S.  For Ray and Garet - I thought we had a P-40 cook-up somewhere but I cannot find it. Maybe it was on the old site?

P.S. to the P.S. Other P-40s found in the gallery. I apologize if I missed someone.
Garet's P-40 1/72

Will's P-40 1/72

Pete's P-40 Box Scale

Lou's P-40 1/144

Brett's P-40

Ray's accompanying comments
This Little P-40 was built from the Guillows plan you see in the image. It is the first aircraft plan ever posted on the SMM site. It is a plan of the Prototype P-40. It was also the 1st build the group did and the 1st model from that build. The coloration was inspired by the Flying Aces cover in the image from Kenny Horne's site. Brett sent me the model all the way from Australia as a gift. The woodgrain shows through the finish and it is as smooth as glass. Thankyou Brett, RFB
Kenny Horne's P-40

dave_t

It was the very first SMM cook-up Lou. I think there are several different drawings in the gallery. http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pid=351#top_display_media

Peter

Hey Lou, I'm up for it! I won't be able to start until next week. I promised myself not to start anything else until the Spit is done. Which should be by Monday.

Peter   

lastvautour

That is fine with me Peter. I have a Harvard and a Corsair to finish myself. They should be done by end of next week also.

Lou

Balsabasher

There are three plans in the archive,we have-
A guillows drawing of the P-40.
An original ID model plan,good fun to replicate that.
And one by a company called 'Enterprise'
I will tag along to join in the fun if thats OK.
Barry.

Peter

Glad to have you along Barry! I also have a plan of a P40E from Model Airplane News. Its the same as the ID model I think.

Peter

Balsabasher

Although I can detect inaccuracies in each drawing I am going to do a period build as per whatever plan is used,information was not forthcoming in wartime and it was only later on that drawings became really accurate.
Which plan do you intend using Lou ?
Barry.

Peter

I kind of like the ID model inaccuracies. It's what makes them unique.

Peter

lastvautour

I will be using the ID plans from the gallery.

Lou

Peter

I'll be using the ID plans as well. But I'll be painting it up instead of leaving it plane black.

Peter

lastvautour

Peter, I call mine ID +. The plus is for paint and decals.

Lou

Peter

Well ID+ it is for me then too! The black just looks to unfinished to me.

Peter

Balsabasher

Peter,quite a few original ID models finished originally in that all black coating got customised,keen aircraft recognition instructors would add propeller discs,undercarriage legs and add RAF cockades as they were called back then,after WW2 thousands of surplus ID models turned up in F.W.Woolworths and sold for three old pence each for fighters and six old pence for twins,even later than this army surplus shops sold them by the bucket full,I wonder where they all went to ?
So even if you do not paint your model now in full regalia it can easily be done at a later date,the black primer makes for an ideal base coat.
Barry.

dave_t

I like using the solid black because it really accentuates the carving as well as the contours of the various aircraft. When I get a little better at handling the wood, I would like to do some in bare wood with a clear finish. Also, the historical aspect of the recognition model program fascinates me, so it is a real pleasure to get a chance to take part in the project, 67 years after the fact. ;) Thanks to Garet, Ray and Ken Horne for posting all of the ID series here on SMM. I managed to print the entire collection in full size into a three ring binder, over two hundred pages worth.

Peter

Thanks Barry that's very interesting. Now if I could just go back in time and grab a couple of buckets of planes! I will maybe keep some black.

Peter