• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Air-Toons

Started by lastvautour, August 18, 2009, 12:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter

Hi Barry,

Funny you mention the plastic egg planes. I recently purchased some basswood hen and goose eggs from Michaels Craftstore here in Canada. They have been sitting on my work bench as I wonder what to with them. Maybe solid model egg planes would be possible?

Peter

Balsabasher

Now there is a novel idea Peter,go for it,a Caproni Stipa perhaps ? or the basis for a Gee Bee racer ? the scope is wide open,what fun.
Barry.

buccfan

I know what you mean about knowing something is not quite right Lou, everytime you look you eyes are drawn to it, Barry, I think Hasegawa are re-releasing the egg planes, I was reading it somewhere yesterday, and also about Wren and his oddentification drawings,I think it was on a Google search for caricature aircraft.Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Experimenting with vinyl tapes instead of decals. This is only prototypical and may not survive the test of time.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou as a suggestion have you seen Solartrim ? this is sold in small rolls and is used to add decoration to solarfilm covered flying models,it slides easily if dunked into water with a tad of washing up liquid added,you can also improve the intricate curves with the tip of a small domestic iron,just thought that I would mention it as it I think it would lend itself to such work on your fleet of Hawk's.
Barry.

lastvautour

I used some when I was building flying models. It would work here also.

Lou

lastvautour

Roundels have been printed and cut out. I left a red border on the decal to blend with the painted surface of the plane. Where the roundels meet the white flash, I will cut a bit closer and finish off with a bit of paint. Lastly, the flash has been stylized to reflect what is on the actual aircraft. The prototype was rather squarish.

Lou

buccfan

Good idea leaving the red on the roundels Lou, the flashes look good in the tape, is it a thin tape you have used? or  like the insulation tape for wiring that comes in all colours .Sorry if I ask a few daft questions but I am only used to decals on plastic kits.Regards Paul.

lastvautour

There are no dumb questions. The tape is the thick electrical stuff. It works fairly well unless you get really up close. I may still change it to decals or even paint. I have applied a few roundels and should be finished later today.

Lou

lastvautour

The Red Arrows AirToon Hawks are ready to perform. I prefer to build with a buddy. Thanks Paul for your inspiration.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=5952

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=5951

Lou

Peter

Wow Lou, well done! These are my favourite airtoons so far.

Peter

lastvautour

Thank you Peter. Your praise is appreciated.

Lou

buccfan

Well Lou, all I can say is the same as Peter, WOW! they look great,particularly in the display you created. I'm looking forward to starting mine when I get my work done. I would just like to say thank you for going through it step by step and being so helpful. I have saved the whole build sequence as a file to refer to,as well as this site . Keep up the good work ,regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Thank you Paul. If you need any help when you start carving, just yell.

Lou

Balsabasher

Yes top work in documenting the build progress on these Lou,they have turned out beautifully and your final pictures show how realistic they look.
Barry.