• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Air-Toons

Started by lastvautour, August 18, 2009, 12:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Good neat work Paul,I like all of that detail you are adding and are obviously having fun,we could do with more people like yourself giving solid models a try,you are a natural.
Barry.

buccfan

Thanks for the comments Barry, you are right I am having fun, and will certainly have a go at some more.Regards Paul J.

buccfan

I know it's been a while but I have finally found some time for the Hawks again. I have given the T2 two coats of Humbrol acrylic gloss No21,thinned with 60 drops of Winsor and Newtons acrylic flow improver. Not only does this make the paint brushable, but it extends the drying time as well so you have time to smooth it out. I have done this to all my acrylic paints as I have been using them and I find it a big improvement.

I experimented with some dry rub off decal paper for the decals, but I have decided to go back to printable decal paper as the rub off decals are very sticky and you get no chance to move them if they are in the wrong place.

I have also marked out the camo areas on the 200 series for the Indonesian version, and made a small start on the painting. Once again I will use the inkjet decal paper for the decals.

Best regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Looking great Paul.

Lou

Balsabasher

Ah yes you have discovered the excellent flow improver,it really does work.
Barry.

buccfan

Yes it does Barry, and without diluting the colour as well. I read about it in a thread on Britmodeller.Regards Paul J.

Oceaneer99

I haven't tried the W&N acrylic flow improver, but have used the more industrial Paint Easy by Wagner (used in house-painting air sprayers).  This has definitely made higher-quality craft acrylics work very well, both with a brush and air brush.  I was getting really mixed results before I tried the flow improver.  For Testors Model Master, I use their thinner, which works well with their product.

Garet

Mothman

But if the meddling Euro-fascists would mind their own damned business we would still have easy and cheap access to proper paint...cellulose!!

Martin

Oceaneer99

I'd still be in trouble with my wife over the fumes. I still can't believe my mother let me use nitrocellulose model airplane dope in my bedroom when I was a boy. Of course, my brother and I melted lead using the kitchen stove! And experiments with hydrogen got banned from the house by my dad after a minor explosion.

Garet

buccfan

I was really looking forward to using acrylics when they first came out but was soon dissapointed with the finish, but using the Winsor and Newtons has made all the difference.I have just bought some Frog Tape to try as well, I know Lou used  it on his Hawk canopy masking, I hope it gives good clean lines. Regards Paul J. 

buccfan

Hi Lou, do you have a method for cutting up your Frog tape and electrical tape into equal width strips or do you just measure? I want to mask up for the canopy lines. I usually cut mine on a cutting mat but it seems to lose a bit of adhesion doing it this way.Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

I make a guide by printing lines on the printer. The lines are longer than the piece of tape I will use. I place glass over top and place the tape on the glass. I line up the tape and straight edge with the printed lines and cut to my hearts content. I have not noticed much loss of adhesiveness using this process. A word of caution, even tipping the blade slightly will change the width of the tape strip.

Lou

buccfan

Thanks for that Lou, I just knew you would have a better method worked out, best regards Paul J. ;D

buccfan

Well I know it's been some time, but I have finally finished my first two Airtoons. In my defence I have had rather a lot of work to do including making an 8ft farmhouse table and two benches to match,as well as work on the house. I have really enjoyed making them and they wont be the last I make, but may take as long as these two. Thanks again to Lou for his excellent tutorial and inspiration.

I have made a start on the templates for my next project,and I will post my progress as I go along again. Regards Paul J.
ps .I'm sure you know but if you right click the image and select view image you get a bigger picture. Paul J.

Balsabasher

I am sure that the Buccaneer will turn out just as well as your other projects Bucc,the compressed area ruling of that fuselage should prove interesting.
Barry.