• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

A word about the 'net, Solids, Photography, and my life

Started by scottzepher, September 08, 2008, 02:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottzepher

In October of 2005 (five months after moving six family members, one dog, and all related goods into our first owned home), we took yet another quantum leap, introducing the Internet into our home for the very first time.   It  quickly became very popular entertainment, as you could imagine, but it also allowed me to expand my modeling knowledge.  I had been on-line before, via my local library, but no matter how hard you try you can't possibly locate and acquire enough information by surfing one hour here, one hour there.
       My first forums, discovered during my SE-5a conversion project, were not exactly the most welcoming to a first-timer without photos of completed work.  When I got up the nerve to post, the files I had on CD were from film, but there were neither posted file limitations nor willing photo administrators to tell me my files were too big.  Mind you, I found several good people on these sites--knowledgeable, friendly and extremely generous--and still try to keep in touch even though I unsubscribed from the forums.
        Raymond invited me to join SMM in April of '06, soon after had my first photos posted.  Today, having recently acquired what I like to call my "digital box brownie," I posted photos of what will be my first full Solid.  My life has changed pretty radically in these three years, and the work you'll see was the product of a few minutes here and there, often picked up, turned, worked slightly, then put down for weeks. 
        Our household only numbers four now, and while the dog is gone from our lives as well, we've welcomed three cats.   We've had our share of troubles, including very nearly adding to the Foreclosure statistics, but all that is past, and we've all have our things to do.  My time doesn't seem to be taken up with the household as much as in the past, and my wife is asking "Are you planning to go down to the shop?" in a half-distracted way, looking over her needlepoint at me.  I realize the question is in earnest, and not a precursor to a search for hardware or orders to move my latest wood acquisitions.  The boarded-up shop window now has old screen door parts attached to it, securing either a storm window or screen as the weather allows. 
       Enjoy my pictures, and please excuse the need to jump over to Flickr from time to time. 

Tom

scottzepher

Pardon my absence, folks!

You good folks at SMN have never been far from my thoughts, and I plan to leave a bunch of new photos in the Gallery to show off my progress.  Things have changed quite a bit in the three years since my last post, leaving me little time to participate in every avenue of social media.   Most of that time was spent keeping up a personal website, which unfortunately became too expensive to keep up have since moved to Facebook, and invite you all to have a look:

https://www.facebook.com/btjwingedlion/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Promoting my first book, writing and revising my second, working and keeping up a 110-year-old, and grabbing a few spare minutes every month or so to attach a wing, add a detail, make a new part; that pretty much sums up my life. 

--More to Come--

Tom

lastvautour