• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

WWII ID + Models Vol II

Started by lastvautour, April 20, 2011, 07:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Lou as I was building today I was thinking about our two busy workbences some thousands of miles apart,your Mossie looks really good,one of my al time favourite aerpanes.
Barry.

lastvautour

The Mosquito has a special place for many. The movie 633 Squadron was my first movie while at basic training in 1966. I just watched it again about a month ago. To bad they destroyed so many Mossies during the making of the film.

Lou

Balsabasher

In actual fact Lou that is not entirely true,the press have expanded on this over the years,this is what happened-
A scene was needed where a Mosquito was required to tax into a fuel bowser and explode,a wooden mock up was used at first but the film director was not happy with the effect,as it happened Group Captain Mahaddie who was responsible for the location of surviving Mosquitoe's which were the last ones in service with the RAF arranged the loan for filming,one single aircraft in poor condition was also purchased by the film company for making props and plaster casts from,it was decided to drag this along the ground on a stout cable into a burning bowser,if you look carefully at the film you can see this sequence,the Mosquito was wrecked,but this was the only aircraft damaged,as it happened a few months later one of the aircraft suffered an engine failure and made a forced landing,this is now in the Imperial War museum collection at Duxford having been rebuilt to static codition.
I hope that you do not mind me pointing this out Lou in the interests of historical accuracy.
Barry.

lastvautour

Busy busy with building gates for the deck and still getting things done down here.

Lou

Balsabasher

Thats what I like to see plenty going on.
Barry.

lastvautour

First gate done on front porch. One more to go. I may have a few hours of peace doing what I love best later tonight.

Lou

lastvautour

The Mosquito paint has been applied and now masking for the glass parts is next. I misplaced a spinner somehow and will have to do a thorough search to find it or make another.

Balsabasher

I really like this Mossie,it is really coming to life now with the camouflage.
A Mosquito is on my to-do list for the future.
Barry.

lastvautour

Progress report on Mossie and Devastator as per May Ping comments.

Lou

lastvautour

The Devastator was rolled out this morning with the following results. I was afraid the decals would not sit onto the corrugation but my fears were for not. This is the fourth 1/72 naval subject from the WWII ID plans on site.

Lou
More photos in the next post.

lastvautour

Additional photos not loaded to the gallery. The last photo shows her new home.

Lou

lastvautour

The 1/72 naval fleet is growing.

Lou

Balsabasher

Ther wing corrugations on the Devastator have turned out really well Lou,quite a fleet of miniature Naval aircraft you have there.
Barry.

lastvautour

Thank you Barry.

The DH.98 Mosquito is hot on the Devastator's tail and rolled out this afternoon.

Some things are beyond my skills and beyond my budget to purchase. In this case the Code letters should be "Sky" rather than black. I may try to paint over them as some point, but for now my apologies to 105 Squadron.

Lou

lastvautour

The twin engine group is up to 4.

Lou