• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Flammables cabinet and fire extinguishers

Started by Oceaneer99, September 25, 2009, 09:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

I took the opportunity to work on my garage flammables cabinet.  The cabinet is a thick wooden one that I bought from the surplus office at a local university.  The paint on it was peeling off, so I scraped, sanded, and repainted the insides white and the outside with the same yellow that one wall of my garage workshop is painted.

Last night, I applied the lettering stencil that a friend made for me a few years ago with a stencil cutter, masked off the rest with paper, threw drop cloths over my nearby workbench, and sprayed the lettering: "FLAMMABE keep fire away".  I overdid the spraying a bit, but the drips dried out okay and didn't get under the mask. 

Inside, I keep my paint thinners and solvents (acetone, mineral spirits, MEK, lacquer thinner, mineral spirit recycling jar), oil finishes (various styles of Danish oil, teak oil, varnish), lacquers (clear finish and sanding sealer), my can of quenching oil for toolmaking (probably unnecessary, but I know where to find it), vinyl cement (for my kayak), small propane tanks, and Coleman stove fuel.  I don't keep my spray paints in there, though I've been reconsidering.  They are in the basement, because I've had problems storing them outside in cold weather (seals going bad, having to warm them up before using them).

At my basement workbench, I don't have a flammables cabinet, but the amounts of flammables are very small (bottles of glue, small bottles of touch-up lacquer, Squadron putty).  I keep an ABC dry chemical and a pressurized water extinguisher on the post opposite the basement workbench.

I also put a type ABC dry chemical fire extinguisher next to the door of the garage (so that I'm not running further INTO the garage to get it).  I have a Type A water extinguisher just inside the basement door, but it doesn't have antifreeze, so I can't keep it in the unheated garage.