• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Air-Toons

Started by lastvautour, August 18, 2009, 12:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave_t

Lou,
   I decided to do several B-17s for gifts and for trading purposes. When making multiples of the same plane each carving goes quicker than the previous one. Did you find that true when making the Bonaventure group?

lastvautour

Practice makes perfect or something like that. A batch does use up less time per copy as you get better at finding shortcuts to various aspect of the subject. This was the case with my air group. I see your photos and am really impressed with your workmanship.

Lou

lastvautour

The last two Air-Toons. The F-102 is for Pat Cherry owner of www.blackheartart.com where I found all sorts of Air-Toon subjects.
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=237&pos=14
The RCAF T-33 Red Knight decals came from a 1/72 scale aftermarket decal sheet specifically made for the RCAF T-33
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=237&pos=22

More photos in the gallery http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=237
Lou

lastvautour

One more Air-Toon for my collection. I really have a craving for these. A Canadian Forces CF-188 can now patrol the northern skies.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=237&pos=24

dave_t

By the way, nice photos.

lastvautour

Paul J has request some assistance in making a BAe Hawk AirToon. The attached drawing is a done by tracing the cardboard templates used in making the other NFTC Hawks and modified for the earlier Mk1. The templates were arrives at by down loading caricature Hawks found on line and pasting them to cereal box cardboard in the proper size. You can find many images by googling "caricature aircraft" or going to www.Blackheartart.com  To make your own AirToon drawing the nose and vertical tail are made approx 1/72 scale. The remainder of the aircraft is compressed to the point where the cockpit area would be 1/48 scale and the canopy exaggerated somewhat. Specifics on building will be passed on as soon as Paul J is ready to proceed.

Lou

dave_t

Lou, do you have a drawing for the F-18?

lastvautour

Dave, Yes. I will take out of the templates and scan them for you later today. Lawn mowing will slow me down a bit.

Lou

buccfan

Thanks for the pics Lou, I'll let you know when I'me ready to go.Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Dave, here are the scans a a number of pictures to show how I did my F-18. I found that I had winged most of the F-18 and I don't have any templates. I will construct some later this evening while watching the tube.
I have a series of photos that show what I did. I will send them via email. The attached are the profile for the wings, intake trunks and the lexx. The wing has a downward twist to it. The tail plane is taken from the side view and the stab from any F-18 top view or drawings. I will provide those later tonight or tomorrow.

Lou

PS. The F-18C drawings is from Pat Cherry at www.blackheartart.com and is the basis for this AirToon.

lastvautour

The F-18C templates are supplied for your carving enjoyment. Anyone can feel free to download and start one of these beauties. These drawings are for Dave, however if anyone wants to make one I will post construction photos.

Lou

lastvautour

Paul has asked that I proceed with the tutorial and he will join in whenever his home renovations allow.

Firstly the selection of wood. I chose clear 1 X 6 clear pine. For Paul that translates to 19mm X 140mm. Lumber sizes in North America is measure as rough cut which would be 1" X 6" and sold to the public as finished lumber having 1/8" from the top and bottom and 1/4" removed from each edge. Strange, but colonials always do thing their own way!!! The template is used to draw the fuselage and flying surfaces on to the wood and then the pieces cut out as close to the lines as possible. Careful placement of the templates will facilitate this. As Paul has a band saw, we will use that to reduce the thickness of the wood for the wings and tail. Any saw will do the job.

lastvautour

Once the pieces have been cut out, use a knife or chisel to remove any excess wood outside the template area. What I don't have a picture off is cutting the wing block edgewise to reduce the thickness. Take care as the blade has to cut through the thickest part of the wing cord. Once done, a chisel, knife or belt sander can bring the thickness down to the 2mm required. Sanding but hand on a sheet of paper is also quite feasible.

Lou

lastvautour

The tail fin is also reduced in thickness using the same procedure. As parts become smaller, safety considerations become greater as small parts can be wrenched from your hand. One the vertical tail is down to approx 3mm, taper the entire surface to 1.5 mm at the top end. Using a pen held at the fingertip, draw a line around the edge approx 5mm inside the edge. Draw a centre line on the edge of the tail fin. Remove the material between the inside line and the centre line. And once ready, you will sand the area smooth.

The photo shows the transition phases, however sanding will come after all pieces have been cut and rough shaped.

Lou

lastvautour

Next the intake block which are 10mm thick will be cut to shape. Using the template, mark off the  and front of the rear of the intake trunks and the front shape of the intake lip. At this point only remove the front and rear material from the intake trunk. See the last photo for the desired result.