• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

World War One Armistice 100th Anniversary - Cook Up

Started by lastvautour, December 05, 2017, 12:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

Lou,

Nice work so far on the Aurora.

Whippet so far.

More work required on back end plus driver's vision slits.

Have made up some basic decals. Looking at the picture the writing on the fuel tank cover looks like it was applied "freehand". So that might present some minor difficulty.

Tracks require some more work.
Again looking at the picture there would appear to be clods of dirt adhering to the the areas where the bolts are.

Starting to look like a Whippet.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

The rivet detail worked out great. What colour are you using for the body. I am currently thinking olive green to match a photo I saw and cannot find again. Many tanks have the tri colours on the sides and I may go that way for greater visibility like your Whippet.

Lou

Boomerang

I saw somewhere ( probably a model WW1 tank kit )mention of an "olive brown" for Whippets. None exists . The closest is Vallejo USA Olive Drab FS34084 so I've gone with that .

If you google olive brown model colour you come up with the usual wandering trail.

Half the fun is the research.

Have now done the Engine ventilator shield , Drivers' Vision slits . "letter box " at base of entry door. All out of evergreen angle and stiff note paper folded over and glued with PVA.
There is a "rolled " piece of metal at the rear of the vehicle. I'm waiting for a piece of .4mm ply to dry in its mold.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

The Red and White stripes were used for Identification after the Germans started using captured British tanks.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Engine cooling louvers. Letter box on main door and drivers vision slit.
Bolts to be added and then painted. The strap at the rear is from a double layer of thick paper glued together with PVA.
They blue tape is just to hold the engine hatch in place.

Gordon

Boomerang

Just the tracks and the decals to go.

Gordon

lastvautour

Sweet. What colour are you using for the tracks?
Lou

Boomerang

I started out with a wash of artist acrylic Burnt Sienna. Then a light wash of Burnt Umber.
Dry brushed some silver across the 1/2 round.

I've done a longer length of "track" in a similar way .I'll post a picture later.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

I have burnt sienna and I will try rubbing a graphite pencil lead in the high points. If that doesn't not work out, dry brush flat aluminum will be the order of things. Thanks for the info.

Lou

lastvautour

My Canadian Legion magazine has an article on Amiens. At 4:20AM artillery fire brook the dawn with and creeping barrage. Canadian infantry advanced supported by 168 Mark V and Whippet tanks.

Lou

Boomerang

Boomerang

The Whippet is finished.

I've attempted to do the markings on the fuel tank with the smallest brush I have.

I've left of the musical notes part of it. I can't get a clear look at them on the Photo.

I didn't check the photo until after I started putting on all the track spuds.

I you look at the photo you will see 5 fuel tins. I've put 3 on.

There is reference in the narrative by the crew commander of fuel running into the cabin.

Also the starboard track guard bracket is missing. I haven't put mine back on. Parted company during final handling.

As to what would have been in the stowage bins I don't know so made it up.

Enjoyed it.

Gordon

lastvautour

Magnificent workman ship. A wonderful representation of a WWI armour. Thank you for the link.

Lou

lastvautour

Just to show I have not taken the whole summer off.

Lou

Flying T

CHECKING IN, been researching my b plane  Bristol bristfit and doing experiments on various aspects of this plane,they did not paint the bottom parts of this plane,how can I duplicate the color of a gold orange and translucent,did it,how can u make the surfaces look slightly wrinkled,did that,how about the laceing on the fus,did that,been busy.it is 1/32,made a decal today,i really such at cutting circles for the roundals. using enamel paint on paper coated with elmers washable glue,need about 3 or 4 coats of paint,rub and buff is great for the shiney steel nose of this plane.
FLYING T (AKA. LARRY)