• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

P-51D Mustang Children's Toy

Started by Model Maker, July 26, 2016, 01:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Maker

Have been invited to an airplane themed birthday for my nephew's son. So I've opted to put together a "toy version" of the P51-D that I've been working on. Performed a few minor tweaks to the CAD files to beef up some of the components so they won't break easily. All parts are a minimum of 3/8" (approx. 10mm) thick. Scale is 1/32. Since it's a toy for a very young child, I'll finish it in a natural finish (shellac to seal and "Tried and True" varnish to finish.

It was my daughter's idea to make a plane as a gift, so I've opted for her to help me with the filing, sanding and finishing. She doesn't like the power tools.

Peter

Great idea looks like a future family heirloom in the making.

Peter

lastvautour

Boomerang

Agree with Lou... lucky nephew.

Will follow progress with great interest.
Cheers

Gordon

Model Maker

Pictures of finished toy. Not sure if it will be an heirloom or not, but hopefully he will enjoy it for a while before his attention moves to electronic games. Making a toy to this level of detail and without the painting is certainly much faster. I opted simply to coat the wood with four coats of shellac due to time pressures. Next one I make, I'll go with the "Tried and True" varnish as hopefully I'll have more time for the finish to cure.

Peter

I like it ! The thick wings make it a toy but the fuselage is classic Mustang. Well done.

Peter

buccfan

Very nice Ken, looks good in the plain wood finish. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour