• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

SMM 14th Anniversary X-Plane Cook-Up

Started by lastvautour, April 11, 2015, 10:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Boomerang

Wood has been cut for a 1/64 Chance Vought V-173 "Flying Pancake".
  Plan and wood ( from the bits box) for a 1/72 X-28 "Osprey" a one off looking into the feasibility of a small single place
  seaplane for civil police patrol in SE Asia.  "The Air Skimmer Program".
  Cheers
  Gordon

lastvautour

Sweet. I always thought they should carried on the project despite the advent of jet engines.

Lou

Boomerang

Some progress on the V-173

Cheers
  Gordon

lastvautour

Very nice Pancake Gordon. The next version always fascinated me. I failed in an tempted to find drawings of the Osprey II and abandoned the project. Would you mind uploading your plans or tell me where you found them.

Lou

Will

Quote from: lastvautour on July 30, 2015, 10:35:58 AM
Very nice Pancake Gordon. The next version always fascinated me. I failed in an tempted to find drawings of the Osprey II and abandoned the project. Would you mind uploading your plans or tell me where you found them.

Lou

Lou, I just resent by PM the Osprey 2 drawing I PMed you a couple of years ago, if you still plan to build one.  It's from a recent book so not appropriate to upload on SMM.  It's quite an attractive little plane.
Regards
Will

Boomerang

The drawing I was using is from an Aerophiles? magazine that ran a series on all the X craft with three views. Found the
magazine in my youngest brothers ar chives. I'll see if i can scan it and will send it.
My X-28  is on the back burner for the moment. I have the drawings for the XF5U - the follow on from the V-173.
  Cheers
   Gordon

Boomerang

Progress so far

General cleaning up and shaping. Undercarriage underway

Gordon

lastvautour

Love seeing your progress. I have drawings of the XF5U from an old Flying Progress mag but they are also on line at various sites.

Lou

Boomerang

I picked up the Ginter book Naval Fighters number 21. Drawings for both of them.

Might tackle the XF5U - 1 at a later date.

Cheers
  Gordon

Boomerang

Some progress.

Fabric covered rudders have been simulated with doped on thread and grey primer.

Undercarriage struts from trimmed down wooden coffee stirrer stick. Unfortunately where I picked up half a dozen has now switched to plastic spoons.  Inner strut yet to be made.  Air inlets I'll leave till I get home next so I can use the rotary tool.
The faint lines on the top are the location of the ribs. The doped on thread and primer method will be used for this . Top and bottom.
  Propeller blades have been roughed out and spinners have yet to be attempted.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Beautiful. She looks great Gordon.

Lou

My first attempt was a single engine control line model. It flew very well but upon being posted to Ottawa I found there were no playmates for me so interest was lost.

Boomerang

Thanks Lou,

Looks like yours is  still serviceable. 
My control line experience was as a kid under supervision of my older brother.
I had a P26, 109 and a Corsair. The 109  and Corsair still exist.
Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

I tries to turn the engine over. It is pretty stiff as it has not been used in approximately 30 years. I gave away all my motors this pass June hopeful someone could use them. As for me my powered flights are over.

Lou

Boomerang

Some progress .

The picture of the upper surface has a couple of coats of primer . Not yet sanded back
  "decal" is from paper for sizing purposes. Looks about right when compared to photos.

The lower surface picture is "Half n Half". Half has two coats of primer not sanded back.
  The other half with the small white access panel has not been primed and is to show the cotton thread in place before moving on to finishing.
  One trick with this method is to ensure the thread is pulled tight over the surface .

cheers

Gordon