• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

drawings of Rockets ... Buck Rodgers or Flash Gordon ...

Started by woodturner, February 09, 2009, 01:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodturner

Good Morning,

Many years ago I found a site that had quite a few drawings of Buck Rodgers style rocket ships.  These were solid models and had enough info on the drawings to turn out a copy or two.

I can't find the site any longer.  Does anyone have a link?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Regards,

lastvautour

Welcome Woodturner. If you can't find the answer here it is not to be gotten. I am confident someone will be able to help you.

Lou

dave_t

I think Ray had those Sci-fi rocket drawings (from old kits) on the old Solid Model Memories site, but maybe they never made it to the new gallery. Does anyone know?

Dave

Oceaneer99

Dave is correct.  There were some Guillows sci-fi style rockets on the old site.  I have backups of the files and will check to see what we have, then try to post them in the near future.

Garet

Oceaneer99

We have some Guillows kit plans:

Solar Speedster (just uploaded to the gallery)
Interplanetary Pursuit
Jeto Transport
Moon Rocket Ship
Rocket Ranger
Space Liner

I'll work on getting these back in the gallery.

Garet

woodturner

Thanks Everyone,

Quite a response ... Looks like I'll need to clean up the lathe and get to work.  I plan to make a kaleidoscope or two and the shapes of these old rockets should look great. 

If I get it to work I'll post the photos and drawings. 

Regards,

dave_t

After looking at the Guillow spaceship drawings again and not finding anything other info on the web, I am becoming more curious about them. The designs are a bit dated (I can picture sparks shooting out; think Buck Rogers) but also pretty interesting. From the 1940s or 50s? Too bad there's no box art.

Where did you find them Ray?

R.F.Bennett

They were donated to the cause years ago but I am ashamed to say I don't remember by who. In fact these are actually copies saved from the old site by Garet. This is probably the only place you will ever see them posted. I haven't found them anywhere else either. Unfortunately that is the whole set, but since recovering one of my old hard drives last week I have two words as a follow-up Rocket Cars! Of coarse there is always my "Provider 50" shuttle and other designs. But those plans aren't finalized yet.  ::)  :o :o  :P
"The Dude Abides"

Kenny Horne

I forgot how cool those plans were, and what a great job Brett did with them.  It's great looking at all this again.  Does anyone know when Guillows was marketing these kits?   Wally Wood, comic book artist for E.C. (including Mad Magazine) did some of the best rockets ever.  IMHO his best was for The Spirit with Will Eisner.  I'll try to find some examples.

Kenny

R.F.Bennett

There is always another option in this category, Your Imagination  ::)
"The Dude Abides"

dave_t

Found this on the Guillow home page, a short history. About halfway down is a photo of the "Interplanetary Pursuit" kit from 1948. Also note the sub-chaser ship model.

http://www.guillow.com/GuillowInfo.asp?UID=10765813