• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Douglas DC-3 Dakota.

Started by Balsabasher, August 03, 2011, 11:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Under restoration is my old Douglas DC-3 Dakota,a few years has seen a few dings and scrapes which are receiving attention,the colourscheme is for 'Arctic 7' the Canadian pop group that used the Dakota for their tours and this one visited Heathrow.
Arctic 7 had another Dakota which was written off in a blizzard.
Barry.

lastvautour

At times, you just have to refurbish them just like real aircraft.

Lou

Balsabasher

That is another good thing about solids,they are tough enough to withstand the ravages of time,I enjoy restorations as well.
Barry.

Peter

Barry,

When I build a DC 3 down the road. I'll paint it to look like the DC 3 used by Buffalo Airways based in the North West Territories. This airline uses a variety of old piston bangers on their northern cargo routes. Their also the stars of a Canadian reality show called Ice Pilots NWT on Canadian TV. I doubt the show has made it to the UK but you may be able to watch it on the internet. Just google Ice Pilots or Buffalo Airways.

Peter

Balsabasher

Peter yes I love the programme 'Ice Pilots' featuring Buffalo Airways,Buffalo Bill has been here in the UK recently purchasing weary Lockheed L.188C Electra aircraft for conversion to water bombers,one aircraft that he purchased had not flown for over 12 years ! but in true Buffalo style they sent engineers to put it together,got it flying and on its way across the atlantic for a new life.
I think the next scheme for my Dak will be the Buffalo one in honour of this great company and its fine hard working engineers.
Ice pilots is eagerly awaited every week here by enthusiasts of these old piston propliners.
Barry.

Peter

I glad the show has made it to the UK. There is a special show coming on next week featuring the Electra. Apparently there using it to recreate the spinning Dambuster bomb from World War 2. I just saw the commercial tonight. I'll let you know if its any good.

Peter

Will

QuoteThere is a special show coming on ... featuring the Electra...using it to recreate the spinning Dambuster bomb from World War 2. I just saw the commercial tonight. I'll let you know if its any good.

Peter

It was shown here in May at the time of the raid's anniversary.  It was interesting to watch how they solved the problems.  I won't spoil the ending for you, but of course the modern pilot doesn't have to contend with darkness, a huge flight at low level across enemy territory, night-fighters or flak!  Fortunately the tail-feathers of his plane are more splash resistant than those of a lancaster, but then the splash of a full-size bomb in 1943 was much more forceful.  Interestingly, I recently read "Enemy Coast Ahead" and Guy Gibson briefly alludes to similar problems of unbalanced bombs.

Cheers
Will

Peter

Thanks Wil, I can't believe I missed it in May. The. Good news is its being repeated!

Peter

Balsabasher

Just one small correction Peter,it is one of the Buffalo  DC-6 aircraft that they used to do the Dambuster re-enactment,brace yourself for some really superb flying scenes.
Barry.

Peter

Thanks for the correction Barry. I bow to your superior aircraft recognition skills.

Peter