• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

AVIAN solid model kits

Started by Balsabasher, July 17, 2011, 08:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

One of the last manufacturers of solid model kits in the UK was AVIAN,I show here the cover and the first few pages of their rare manual is now in our files.
Barry.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10005/normal_avian_soilds_manual.jpg

lastvautour

Barry, I noted that both AVRO Avians have the same serial number. Do they represent different times in history. Which came first.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou interesting observation,this is what happened and why there are two models of the aircraft in different markings,pre war many aircraft were presented to ATC units in the UK,this particular aircraft G-AAYW was presented by Walter Handley to the squadron for instructional use on the ground,sadly the squadron never looked after it and to add insult to injury set alight to it and pushed it into a pond whuich was later bulldozed over burying the aircraft where it still lies to this day,the model came about when the squadron was celebrating its 50th anniversary and asked me to make a model of it for display at their party as it appeared then,the aircraft escaped impressment ( take over by the RAF ) by virtue of its gifted nature to the squadron,what is not known is if it wore its pea green finish or was painted in camouflage as per the model at the time the ATC had it,this is quite possible as prior to Handleys ownership it was owned by a serving RAF lieutenant in the far east,so the scheme/schemes are representative of how it may have been when with the ATC,all of this happened in about 1945 the aircraft having been withdrawn from use a few years earlier and flown from Elmdon ( now Birmingham Airport )
Some years ago I made enquiries as to how much it would cost to dig it up,not that much would be left of it after all of those years underground and the damage done when it was burnt.
Barry.