• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

World's largest Model Airplane Collection

Started by lastvautour, May 31, 2011, 10:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Saw your photos ans I am in awe of your talents. Which is the oldest? Which is biggest/smallest? How many do you have? Do you sleep? You put my meager collection to shame.

Lou

cliff strachan

Barry's collection is indeed amazing! No words can describe it.
Cliff.

Balsabasher

Well the oldest will be some of my fathers models such as the Boeing PT-17 Stearman included in the collection,the biggest is the one to one Tawney Owl which I am restoring plus I am building a full size Flying Flea as well from a 1936 'Practical Mechanics' series of articles plus Henrie Mignets original book,smallest is a tiny one inch wingspan Auster AOP.9 which a teacher bet me that I could not build something to fit into a matchbox ! over 34,000 pieces built up over 50 years and still expanding into the workshop annex,I spend 4 hours a day in my cherished workshop and it does not matter if I even make a tiny propeller it is something that I have built that day,I sleep 9 hours a day sometimes more.
I have just taken a relative youngster under my wing to teach him to make a solid at his request after seeing the wooden models,it should prove to be a very interesting experience.
You have a lovely collection there Lou it is not all about numbers but what you get out of this great hobby and I know you get a lot from it like myself.
I am getting a lot of visitors recently from around Europe who have heard about the collection despite not being listed in the Guiness book of records,word gets around from somewhere ? probably SMM.
Barry.