• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Heath Parasol

Started by Balsabasher, May 20, 2011, 12:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Assembly line of two Heath Parasol's on the bench today.
Barry.

Balsabasher

Started to assemble the Heath Parasol's
Barry.

Balsabasher

Propellers carved,undercarriage and wheels added,cabane struts in place.
Barry.

dave_t

Do you hand-draw scaled up plans for all of your models? I would like to see more about that. My drafting skills (and table) have been languishing since computers came along.

Balsabasher

Yes Dave by good old school drawing instruments are what I use,a pair of compasses is all that is needed,you can also get scale compasses which can be set up x2,x3,x4 etc which can make life easier for small drawings but not so good for the larger scales that appeal to me.
You can also do it by making your very own scale rule,represent the rule in increments of a scale you use often,a strip of plastic such as from a double glazing project is ideal,scratch the dimensions into the rule and rub enamel paint over the rule to make them show.
Also a calculator is handy to check dimensions.
As you can see I make the drawings on tracing paper then pin prick the shapes through onto cereal box card,sticking on photo copies is another method favoured by some,it is all about personal choice and whatever works for you.
Barry.

Balsabasher

Taken just before I closed the hangar doors tonight at Bishops Tachbrook airfield,the diminutive Heath Parasol has had its cabane struts added,plus drag wires on the undercarriage,tail skid etc.
I think it just goes to show that the humble lightplane can make for a very attractive subject.
Barry.

dave_t

Nice one Barry. It has a classic solid model look to it. How did you get the contrasting color effect on the tire?

Balsabasher

Thanks Dave for your kind comments,the wheels are just ply discs with miralyte ply additional discs glued into place,almost a pitty to paint this one ? I may enjoy it in bare wood for a while.
The other one will be pale blue overall with large registration letters G-AFZE on the wings in black plus the fuselage sides.
Barry.

cliff strachan

Nice model Barry. I may be able to post an article about the Heath Parasol that appeared about a year ago in the Western Canada Aviation Museum's journal that you may find interesting. I'm really impressed with your method of building wheels. I believe that it is much superior to the way I was attempting - cut a dowel. Then indent the center but rebuild this center to replicate the wheel's by using "body filler".
Cliff

Balsabasher

Cliff I would love to see that article when you are ready,yes wheels come in so many different shapes and sizes that a different technique is needed for each design,I see no reason why the dowel wheels should not work,even spun up in the chuck of a drill would bring results.
See my recent tutorial on the use of buttons and rubber seals to make very passable wheels for our models.
Thank you for the comments Cliff they are much appreciated,incidently I am trying to find the original G-AFZE which we believe is stored somewhere following the owners passing,it would make a very interesting restoration project.
Barry.

cliff strachan

Barry hope  you get a chance to have a look at the article from the  Western Canada Aviation Museum's journal "Altitude" of Summer 2006 Vol 32 No2 dealing with the Heath Parasol that I've just tried to post.
Cliff.

Balsabasher

Cliff what an article as well,it brings over the pure joy of flying these little beauties and above all one mans determination to build a practical small ultralight aeroplane against all odds,thank you for taking the time to scan them on our behalf.
Barry.