• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Fiat CR30

Started by Balsabasher, February 20, 2011, 12:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

This beautiful Italian subject is one that I have done a few times in the past,the fuselage shape presents its challenges especially around the nose area.
To get the shape correct I used a 1=72nd scale model for reference as can be seen in the photographs,the two halves of the fuselage were first marked inside the outer edges with a blue marker pen before cementing together,this shows the centreline continually during the shaping as the blue ink bleeds through the joint continually,a neat tip,the block was marked out in the usual way working from the nose contours down towards the tail sternpost area with chisel and long bladed knife,the cockpit first being hollowed out with a Dremel milling tool inserted into the power take off,the nose intake receiving similar treatment prior to being treated with some gauze as supplied in those car body repair kits,the zince cuts easily with any old pair of scissors.
After a good sanding with fine garnet paper I gave it a sealer coat to harden the balsa nicely before further handling and injected further sanding sealer with an hyperdermic needle into the wood at intervals,the holes can be filled later with pollyfilla pushed in with a spatula,once this has been done the wood is as tough as any whitewood,just dont inject yourself with that needle as sanding sealer in the system is not good for you !!
So a start made,watch this space for further progress,and bigger pictures in Balsabashers creations album.
Barry aka Balsabasher.

Balsabasher

It has been a big jump since my last build report on the Fiat CR30 project,the wing struts were fashioned up from spruce strip and I set about adding them,the warren girder affair is something that I tackled once before on a flying model of the Parnall Elf biplane except that had ouddles of tiny brass fittings made up first to lock the struts in place,the CR30 in this case was a lot easier once the outboard struts had been installed carefully,I used the usual sacrificial card jig that you build around the model scaffold fashion then tear it down later once the struts have been added,works every time.
So another step forward on this pretty Italian pre war biplane that served in many guises.
Barry.

Balsabasher

The Fiat CR.30 was completed today,all of the hand painted insignia is now in place after picking it up and putting it down over a period of weeks as the various colours dried out to carry on with the next overlay.
The finish is Spanish Civil war scheme that took my fancy.
You can place this in the 2011 folder now Lou with a further choice of pictures added today if you wish,thank you.
Barry.

lastvautour

Another nicely completed project. I have posted a picture to the MotY folder.

Lou

Balsabasher

Thanks Lou,trying to get up to date with unfinished projects that need a bit of paintwork to complete them.
Barry.