Total Categories:                   9
Total page views:    3,450,591

Gallery stats:

Total files                       7,597
Total Albums                     329
Total categories                   17
Total comments                 759
Total views              2,469,366

Total combined views is quickly approaching 6,000,000.

Pete1616

Despite my left eye operating at 50% and my wonky hands, I managed to send 16 carvings to the museum at Canadian forces base Camp Borden as well as 7 more to the RCAF association. At least they'll be seen by folks (other than my musical friends when we practise in my family room)

I sent along my SMM info in case some wood carvers show some interest in them......Pete
Pete1616

lastvautour

Thank you Pete. I am sure they will be appreciated.

Lou

Model Maker

As with Lou, I'm sure Pete's donations will be admired by all those who view them in their new homes. Looks like we're starting to spread our wings with Lou and Pete both sending out info on the site. Hopefully we'll have a few more members join. Dare I say as a newbie, it's an enjoyable and relaxing hobby.

Also want to wish Ray best wishes for his upcoming surgery and for a speedy recovery.

Have started back on the P-51D's. Should be posting some pictures on the progress shortly. Plans for the mosquito are complete, so I'll be starting a thread on the build shortly.

-ken

lastvautour

I met a new friend from Colorado. Bill is solid wood builder as well as flying model. Bill carves to donate to Special Needs Kids. His current project is to make 10 to 15 Panthers for this Christmas season.

Lou

Pete1616

Beautiful work, Bill....As I recall, my P38 took me a couple of years before I figured out how to put it together, mine has separate segments rather than one piece for the wings. I like your idea better. The wood grain on your panther is nice as well.

Pete
Pete1616

cliff strachan

I would imagine that this should be addressed to all members of SMM.  All are truly amazing carvers - among other things. But I guess I'm mostly impressed by
Pete 1616. Anyone that can still compete as he has - and even to the extent of sending some examples to Canada's Military - especially considering having one
eye that works at 50% and having hands that as he describes them are "wonky," deserves a special tribute. 16 carvings ! ! It certainly makes one  consider
what is .  .   .  ..

cliff.

Pete1616

Cliff, Thanks for the compliment! I'm still waiting for the aftermath of my macular operation to disappear. They put a bubble in to force the hole to close Sept 4, the doc told me it would take 2 months to dissipate.  At present, when I look down (as in carving) I see a perfect circle, opaque and dark around the edges. When I look forward the bubble (getting smaller day by day) is visible in the bottom of the eye. I hope to complete the remaining 8 carvings that are cut out before the arthritis gets too depilating....So much for the golden years! The curator in Camp Borden was very happy to get the 16 early jets, and the director of the RCAF association is pleased with the 12 he received. Now,  with the 57 carvings in the Canadian warplane heritage, my wife has space for some of her china figurines!
Pete1616

lastvautour

Another installment from Bill. Two very nice Spitfires.

Lou

lastvautour

Pete passed on these words.

Lou

Hi, Lou...This is the letter I sent to Camp Borden museum and to the R.C.A.F association.........

I'm glad that you're happy with the carvings I sent.

If you could, perhaps a small sign referring to the organization that I belong to  could be placed by your display.  It's called "Solid model memories".  The site on the computer has all the info needed to join, and the members vary from "newbies" to  "old timers" with 20 or more years carving aircraft. Last count was 254 world wide. We welcome new members and are always ready to offer assistance.

Model Maker

I am always impressed by the natural finish on many of the models. The grain of the wood certainly compliments the model form and enhances the beauty of the finished model. I'm still struggling with painting models to hide imperfections addressed using wood fillers. But as with other things in life, there is always something to aspire too. My hat is off to Bill and all the other carvers who display the finished model with natural wood finishes.

-ken

Pete1616

Ken, as one who always produces unpainted carvings, I have to tell you that there are a few "tricks" to this method.

First, you can buy wood putty that matches the wood you're working with. If you can't match closely enough, mix some of the sawdust from your sanding into the mix.

Second, if you can get your hands on some pretty wood....like my "eastern red cedar" or "Butternut", using the grain to enhance your work....I.E. mirror effect with the wings, tail etc can produce an attractive piece of work.

Personally,  I just don't have the steady hands required for the delicate painting of many of our members. I may have when I was younger.....I don't remember!.....Pete
Pete1616