• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

September 2015 Ping

Started by lastvautour, August 31, 2015, 10:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

2/3 of the years is gone and winter looms on the horizon, and with that hopefully a resurgence of new projects on SMM. So far to date 23 models have been completed and photos posted.

Gallery stats:
7,597 files in 329 albums and 17 categories with 759 comments viewed 2,444,638 times

Forum Stats:
Total Members:              254
Total Posts:                13731
Total Topics:                 1198
Total page views:    3387733

Lou

lastvautour

No new projects as I await the Berwick Model show. I will continue with the Bonnie and the Argus.

Lou

Model Maker

Have been slowly picking away at the p-51 but not much progress.

Had the pleasure of talking to a 91 year old WWII veteran who lives at the same retirement home as my father-in-law a few weeks ago. During our discussions he mentioned he flew a Mosquito during the war and loved being at 45,000 feet. Thought I'd try to make a model of one for him as a Christmas gift. Have the CAD plans about 75% complete, so should be carving away in the next couple of weeks.

lastvautour

I look forward to your Mossie build. What scale are you going to use?

Lou

Boomerang

Proceeding slowly along with V-173 and the racers. Started the thread and filler method ( fabric covered section )on the V-

Ken, looking forward to the Mossie

Biggles, Interest in AFV's has been tweaked and I am looking at either a Mark A Whippet or a Vickers Mk1 Medium

Cheers

Gordon

Model Maker

I looked at carving a 1/32 Mossie. But the wing span seemed to be too large (approximately 20"). So instead, I think I'll go for 1/48 scale. Wing span will be around 14" which seems more appropriate for a coffee table or similar display. I'll start a build thread once I get started.

lastvautour

Please note that the model of the year category has been changed to Yearbook as we no longer do the model of the year but do create a yearly poster that can be considered to be our yearbook.

Lou

Pete1616

Unfortunately I'm benched for a while...in addition to my wonky hands, I had a macular hole in my left eye repaired....so i'm sort of blind in that eye. Seeing the eye doc today. Meanwhile all I can do is keep my head down and read (not as much fun as carving!)

In chatting with a friend who is a retired Coronel from the USAF, He casually mentioned that he had a back seat ride in Arrow 203! Jan Zurowski was the pilot. He was a USAF 2 Lt at the time. He also mentioned Spud Potosky.....I'm going to have to pump hum for more details!
Pete1616

lastvautour

Sorry to hear that Pete.

Anyone interested in a Remembrance Day build? A friend of mine just received some memorabilia from his dad's WWII exploits as a Coastal Command pilot flying with RAF 59 Squadron . At that time they flew Liberators GR V hunting submarines. I have a 1/144 scale of such a model but want to make one for my friend in a larger scale (1/96 or 1/72). I thought it would be better to do it as a Remembrance Day group build. The particular model is FL976 a B-24D-35 with the search radar mount in the chin position.

Lou

The attached photo is not a 59 Sqn bird but is representative of what I want to do.

lastvautour

The first day of fall. Time to sharpen those cutting blades.

Lou

buccfan

I bought one of these for sharpening scalpel blade and Stanley blades, works a treat. Best regards Paul J. http://www.bladetech.co.uk/classic.html

Boomerang

Spring has sprung and the grass is rizz  on this side of the globe.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Paul, let us know how it works for you.
Gordon, your gain is our loss. Still, we are having a marvelous fall with 22C forecasted for tomorrow.

R.F.Bennett

Finally happening Gents, next month, long awaited spinal implant surgery on the 16th and the 26th, Wish me luck  :o
Congratulations on the fund raising!  ;D   :o   :P
Let the chips fly Gentlemen!. . .   ;)

and Pete, After 5 or 6 years of practice I can hold my whittling knife with one foot and a piece of wood with my other. I think my hands will work again by the time I learn to open the whittling knife! I don't get a lot done, but I've yet to cut myself once!  ;D  ;)
You'll find a way Pete, that's what WE do. . .
"The Dude Abides"

buccfan

The sharpener works well with the craft and scalpel blades Lou. Just draw them slowly through the V, there is a leaflet with the sharpener that shows you how.  Good luck for your operations Ray, hope all goes well and recover soon. Regards Paul J.