• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/32 Scale Canadair CL-13 Sabre .............Completed 9 Jun 2018

Started by lastvautour, July 16, 2011, 09:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Licence built in Montreal, over 1800 Canadair Sabres served with the RCAF and many other NATO countries. Its users,were Bangladesh, Canada, Colombia, Germany (300), Greece, Honduras, Italy, Pakistan, South Africa, Turkey, United Kingdom, USAF, Yugoslavia. I can't recall when I started this, but it has been hanging around for quite a while.

Lou

Balsabasher

The F-86 Sbre will make a good hangar mate for your F-84 Thunderjet.
Barry.

lastvautour

Some putty and a little sanding is all the time I had to put on the Sabre.

Lou

Balsabasher

Very pretty Lou,you have captured the lines well of this classic vintage jet.
Barry.

lastvautour

The wood is fairly hard but will not hold an edge very well. It is a recycled banister from a friend's remodelling project. It may be hemlock. Regardless, there is a story to this one that I will keep until the project is finished.

Lou

Balsabasher

I look forward to hearing it Lou.
Barry.

lastvautour

Slowly -

Lou

lastvautour

I can't believe I have not touched this model since 2011. Started by repairing the damage of moving and just laying around the basement for so long. New wing tip trailing edges both main and tail and re-carving the rear fuselage. There is also old damage where I had broken the tail plane because I aligned the grain tip to tip on a one piece swept wing. A drop on the floor cracked that one a few years ago. Photos to follow when something worthy of showing. At least it is on the bench along with a 1/72 scale version.

Lou

lastvautour

Much more sanding to go.

Lou

lastvautour

Several more primer coats and much sanding.  Basic colours have been applied by brush. Photos to follow.

Lou

lastvautour

Gloss coat for decal adhesion. Decal printed. 1/32 scale takes lots of decal paper. The common markings will take at least  1/2 a sheet.

Lou

lastvautour

A moment of inattention. White paint rather than the intended gloss coat.

Lou

lastvautour

After many restarts the Sabre is finally finished. Controls surfaces are decals copied from the Strombecker kit and some home made ones enlarged to 1/32 scale.

Lou

lastvautour

Looking at the last image previous post I also added control surfaces lines for the bottom of the wing. A 1/32 it took 90% of an A4 sheet of clear decal sheet.

Lou

PS I think the image is 1/72.

Additional photos for you comments.

buccfan

Very nice indeed Lou, control surface decals look good well done. Regards Paul J.